Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Amyotroph Lateral Scler thread

Default Amyotroph Lateral Scler thread

What do you know about this disease?

Default Re: Amyotroph Lateral Scler thread

ALS is most recently famous on account of the ice bucket challenge which was a charity drive to raise funding for ALS that went viral over the internet. It is really a dreaded disease that leave the patient in an intermediate state which is life that is full of suffering and death which does not come.

Most cases of ALS have no known causes, I suspect it is more on account lack of our understanding of the disease and limited research in this area. In other words it is the unknown unknown realm in the 2*2 known, unknown matrix of probability. The term used for such a condition is idiopathic, once you hear it from the neurologist, it triggers a chill down the spine. As mentioned in the link manifestation of the disease varies in different patients and the stages are different.

If the disease is not genetic i.e ~90% of the cases one is led to believe environmental conditions have a huge influence on triggering the disease. The environmental conditions include exposure to chemicals, nuclear and biological agents at some point in life. Unfortunately the disease seems to lie latent until one hits a specific age and then suddenly kicks in with revenge. Note that the trigger condition is given my speculation having known at least 2 ALS cases in very close proximity, with both patients working in chemical plants that deal with halogens.

Given that probability of this disease in US and Europe is about 2 in 100K and much lower in other geographies with dense populations. This is the only explanation that seems to make sense. If you have not seen a patient of ALS hope that no one in your proximity suffers but if you do see one provide all the empathy and care that you can since the end is really not that far out.

Riluzole is the only known medicine however it seems (based on data with a patient I know) to delay the inevitable in the best case and unknown impact in the worst case.

Default Re: Amyotroph Lateral Scler thread

Good answer by Gerrard. A terrible disease. My grandfather suffers from it. We use very good medicine to make his life easier.It is Radicat(https://bio-japan.net/index.php?rout...product_id=268). It efficacy for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS was scientifically proven. I recommend to read about it.