Thread: Anyone else feel like their dissertation is garbage?

Default Anyone else feel like their dissertation is garbage?

I had a lot of problems with funding during my time in grad school (tl;dr my advisor's funding got frozen and for nearly a year I couldn't buy any supplies except for what I could get in the stock room). As a result, there are a ton of experiments that I really wanted to do (and should have done), but wasn't able to. As I'm writing up my results, I'm overwhelmed by these feelings of frustration to the point where it's interfering with my writing process because I am so anxious about whether my colleagues will see my work as the dumpster fire that I see it as.

I have plans that start in two months that I am very excited about, but I keep getting hung up on hating my own work because it isn't where I wanted it to be.

Anyone else experience this/have advice for how to deal with it?

2. Likes forward liked this post

Default Re: Anyone else feel like their dissertation is garbage?

Find an advisor you trust and ask them about what you need to do in order to finish. Mention your stress and frustrations and that you aren't really sure what needs to be done versus what would be ideal.

Something similar happened to my TA colleague in grad school. He literally dreamed an experiment to modify a protein and it made absolutely zero sense based on the existing literature, but he said **** it because he was in a pissy mood and it worked. But then he had no way of explaining in a research narrative why he did that experiment or how it produced the (repeatable) outcome and his advisor forced him to do a bunch of experiments to fill that all in rather than just billing it as a happy accident and it set him back a year on graduating.

Well, the essential aim of writing a research paper is to work with feasible data which is measurable.