Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best retirement age?

Default What is the best retirement age?

In my country, retirement age was initially 55 but is now 60. As for me, I wouldn't want to work in a government organization for that long. I want to open my own business and be self employed so I don't have to wait to retire.

Default Re: What is the best retirement age?

I think 60 is the best. Well, if you ask me, I'd rather keep working as long as my body allows it. I'm not fond of stagnation. Even if I can't move around anymore, I would want to work on something. Perhaps self-employed is ideal for me.

Diamond Member

60 sounds desireable, but not really all that realistic these days. It is a personal thing though, and when you feel that you are secure in your finances without work, then by all means.

You are both right, being financially secured or self employed is better for anyone who can't wait to retire at 60. After all, life is short and it is better to have fun with family and friends than to spend more years working and missing out the good things in life.

In the United States, you can't even legally retire until age 62, and many people continue working until age 70 and beyond. It really depends on your preference and your income with what you choose to do. The longer you work, the more of a pension you have available.

As for me, I think it should be reduced to utmost 50 years old. This is because, population has increased so much over the past few years. Specifically in my country, with the introduction of free education, many young people have been educated and therefore the market is flooded. This has really wreaked havoc, as most of these educated youngsters, have ended up jobless and with little or no capital to start their own businesses.

Reducing the retirement age from 60 to 50, will help create vacancies for more people who would have been jobless. At least by the age of 50, the retiree would have made enough money to invest for themselves, unlike the newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasMukuha View Post
    As for me, I think it should be reduced to utmost 50 years old. This is because, population has increased so much over the past few years. Specifically in my country, with the introduction of free education, many young people have been educated and therefore the market is flooded. This has really wreaked havoc, as most of these educated youngsters, have ended up jobless and with little or no capital to start their own businesses.

Reducing the retirement age from 60 to 50, will help create vacancies for more people who would have been jobless. At least by the age of 50, the retiree would have made enough money to invest for themselves, unlike the newbies.
    I totally agree with what you said. The retirement age should be reduced. I think it will be unfair for a fresh graduate to be looming round the streets looking for jobs while old peoples are occupying the positions in the company. Fresh graduates and young people should be given a chance to maybe practice what they read in college.

Member Plus

Although I find this kind of question quite subjective (because the variants can really be very diverse), I think something between 58-62 is enough. But it's something that requires much discussion (more than we can imagine).

This question can be difficult to answer since i feel the retirement age depends a lot on the field of work, for stressful and tedious jobs, below 60 is enough, for a desk job 62

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasMukuha View Post

I totally agree with you Nicholas. There is high unemployment rate in our country because the old are still in office while the young are roaming in the streets. By the time they get a job, they will be around 30s and not ready or willing to retire when they reach 60s. It is a cycle and will take longer to solve.