Thread: What do you see in an investment property?

Default What do you see in an investment property?

I mean a house that you construct or buy for investment purpose or what is generally known as your second or third home! I have talked to many second home buyers and all of them agreed that the ideal second property's value should increase overtime and it should be situated where a prospective renter would find it more attractive like near the rail station, bus stand, market and hospitals etc. What is your strategy while buying an investment property?

2. Likes NicholasMukuha liked this post

Default Re: What do you see in an investment property?

I mostly seen the future value. If the place has demand then definitely it helps to sell the property. If required you can also sell the property or develop some portion of it. And that's not something you'd do overnight. You have to wait it out and see how the market responds. And that way you can decide what may or may not work for you. In some of such cases investment is not going to be really good enough in many ways. So think about how that works out for you and then invest. Also network with property dealers and find out the price of the land.

I think that as the old real estate adage says location, location, location is what is important in an investment property. Finding a property that meets your needs, and the needs of those around you is typically what an investment property could and should do. Many people will find and utilize these properties to make sure they have the kind of property that will be appealing over time.

Diamond Member

I would agree on the importance of location. You really just have to keep your eye on the area and where you see property values coming into play, but also how that corresponds to any improvements or additions that may be done. There is a lot to factor in, so careful consideration is always a good idea.

Well on my part, a lot of factors come into play when considering an investment property. For me, the first of these factors is safety. There is no point of having to rent a well furnished mansion with ample parking and a swimming pool, if it is located in an area that I will always live in fear of attacks.

Another thing that I would consider is general cleanliness, especially the drainage system and dumping site. I do not want to rent in an area that floods every time it showers, or you cannot live in peace due to the foul smell of a nearby dump site. Generally for me, those two are the most important.

Investing might seem like an easy process which i believe it is, but what defines whether it will succeed is your understanding of the investment always check the location beforehand.

For me, real estate, whether a lot or a house, is the best investment because the value appreciates over time in normal circumstances. In our old age, our dream is to have an apartment to be rented out that will cover our expenses. Right now, we already have a house of our own and we feel comfortable financially. If ever we have enough money now then our plan is to buy a lot as an added investment.

Member Plus

When I decide to buy a property, I have two reasons: 1. A home for myself; 2. a good investment.
    It is better to live in your home instead of rented apartment for two reasons. the amount you pay as rents for 10 years will actually buy you a home (you can always finance your home with bank and pay loan repayments, which is more or less equal to the amount you pay as rent). When you have your own home, you will you not have to worry about a place to stay when you retire.
    Secondly, house is also an investment. I can always rent out and earn an income from rentals.