Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When products are gamaged during shipment

Member Plus

Default When products are gamaged during shipment

Do you ask for refunds when you receive faulty goods from the supplier (goods having manufacturing defects) or goods that were damaged during the shipment process? My supplier does not take responsibility of damaged goods, however, it provides warranty for manufacturing defects. Do you think the supplier should cover the damages during the shipment?

Default Re: When products are gamaged during shipment

It's only rightful that the supplier or the manufacturer should shoulder the cost of the damaged incurred on the products and should also replaced or refund those with manufacturing defects. I don't usually know how their warranty works but what I know is that as long as the product is still not in the possession of the customers when the said demeanor happens, it is still the company's responsibility to make it safe and sound. Whatever happens to the products from the warehouse and during the delivery, the company is the one solely responsible to it.

I think the transport company should be shouldering the cost of damages in this case because the cargo had incurred damages during trip from the supplier to the customer. But I know that the cargo is fully insured especially if it is an importation. So maybe the transporter or brokerage firm would be the one to facilitate the refund from the insurance company by presenting the necessary documents.

Diamond Member

If the product is something that is affected by this, I would absolutely look for something relating to this in the description, if it is frmo a reputable company. If you are buying from a person, though, then you are probably on your own and we all know the "buyer beware" saying for a reason.

Such situation is the reason why ever business and company should require of a supplier a guarantee for refunding items damaged during shipment since this leads to financial losses.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandoy View Post
    I think the transport company should be shouldering the cost of damages in this case because the cargo had incurred damages during trip from the supplier to the customer. But I know that the cargo is fully insured especially if it is an importation. So maybe the transporter or brokerage firm would be the one to facilitate the refund from the insurance company by presenting the necessary documents.
    I agree with you. The transport company should be bearing the cost for the damages. The supplier sends quality goods and the customers will be expecting quality goods. However, if the goods are damaged on the way, it is not supplier or customer's fault, instead it is transport's fault. The goods were damaged because the transport carried did not handle them properly.
    PS: I am sorry for miss spelling on the title. I could not find a way to edit the title.

When goods are damaged during shipping or transport process, the transport or shipping line should be held responsible for this and not the supplier. If the goods left the company without damaged, then they should are not responible for what transpired during transportation.

I think in such case the logistic unit has to own up the mistakes. Because they can't shrug this off on anyone. They made mistake in their workflow. And they have to take responsibility. And if possible the damage has to be paid to the customer and also to the manufacturer. So in the packaging and the transit part one has to be very careful. And they have to also deal with the different type of conditions. That's how they can manage the issues with the shipments.

Well it depends, If a product is damaged by a forklift, then the warehouse insurance policy is looked to. If the product is damaged between the warehouse and the buyer, the carrier insurance is looked to.

Quote Originally Posted by luri View Post
    I agree with you. The transport company should be bearing the cost for the damages. The supplier sends quality goods and the customers will be expecting quality goods. However, if the goods are damaged on the way, it is not supplier or customer's fault, instead it is transport's fault. The goods were damaged because the transport carried did not handle them properly.
    PS: I am sorry for miss spelling on the title. I could not find a way to edit the title.
    This^^ ultimately, however my experience (as a shipper and a receiver of goods) is that the receiver will inform the supplier and place a claim for refund or replacement with them and the supplier will then claim from the transporter.
    Increase your warehouse efficiency. Worldwide application: www.sanvean.co.uk