Likes Likes:  0

Thread: local supplier Vs international suppier

Member Plus

Default local supplier Vs international suppier

Finding appropriate supplier can be really difficult. Currently, I am looking for a suplier who can supply me PET Preforms, which are used as bottles for water, carbonated drinks and juice. I have approached a local supplier as well as international supplier. The local supplier is charging me a bit higher, however, doing business with him is safer than with the international supplier. When you are looking for a supplier, what do you choose, go local or find international?

Member Plus

Default Re: local supplier Vs international suppier

This is a very practical question for me, I always use those that satisfy my needs. I'm aware of how important it's to value the work of small business owners, but I prioritize even more the quality of the products that I have / need to buy.

That's how "gaming" works.

After analyzing and taking into consideration all the options and possibilities, you choose the one that helps your business grow and at the same time guarantees consistent service.

The choice of supplier depends on the business needs. If you are dealing with fashion, like clothing items and accessories, using imported materials have the advantage so I guess it is advised to go for an international supplier. But for truly locally made goods that you are proud of, like native bags, then it is a given that local suppliers will be your choice. International suppliers cost more in their charge and also to consider is the transport of goods which adds to the cost of your products.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandoy View Post
    The choice of supplier depends on the business needs. If you are dealing with fashion, like clothing items and accessories, using imported materials have the advantage so I guess it is advised to go for an international supplier. But for truly locally made goods that you are proud of, like native bags, then it is a given that local suppliers will be your choice. International suppliers cost more in their charge and also to consider is the transport of goods which adds to the cost of your products.
    Exactly, choosing which supplier to use for your business or company depends entirely on your needs as well as your field of work, for higher quality materials imported is better.

Just go for local suppliers so that you can easily connect and monitor the supplies and if ever some untoward incidents happen, you can easily deal with it. It is a good business practice to first support your own that to go ahead with the international companies. It's not only that you can help build the reputation of the local suppliers, you can also help create jobs for your own fellow countrymen.

Member Plus

If it's my business, and the capital would be big, I would go for suppliers abroad unless I'm looking for native products. But if the capital is a bit small and I really do not need a lot of inventory, I would just go for local suppliers.

I was actually reading on the same sometimes back, and I got some very interesting ideas that I think I can share. First of all it depends on how urgent you need your products. If you need them as soon as possible, then local is the way to go, but if you have some time to spare, then you can consider international.

Another thing I think you should consider is the quality. If it matters to you that much that you need to inspect the goods yourself, then you can consider local supplies. International supplies are prone to shipping damage, and if by chance you get to receive goods you did not order, then a lot of time and money, would be wasted in returning the goods. Last but not least, if you are buying in a low quantities, then I do not see the need of going international.

Quote Originally Posted by NicholasMukuha View Post
    I was actually reading on the same sometimes back, and I got some very interesting ideas that I think I can share. First of all it depends on how urgent you need your products. If you need them as soon as possible, then local is the way to go, but if you have some time to spare, then you can consider international.

Another thing I think you should consider is the quality. If it matters to you that much that you need to inspect the goods yourself, then you can consider local supplies. International supplies are prone to shipping damage, and if by chance you get to receive goods you did not order, then a lot of time and money, would be wasted in returning the goods. Last but not least, if you are buying in a low quantities, then I do not see the need of going international.
    I agree, if you're not in need or in a rush to have the products delivered as fast possible, you should always prioritize quality since it will define your business and operations.

Doing business with a supplier whether local or international depends on various factors of which transportation/shipping of your products to your destination depends on. It is quite surprising that the local supplier is charging you higher for the purchases of those products, but I think you have to consider the cost of doing business in your country with what we see in other climes such as the place you international supplier comes from. You need to check the cost of doing business at your country when checking how much the differences in prices.

If after checking the shipping cost and the international supplier's pricing still beats that of your local supplier, then I would suggest you trade with the international supplier as long as his products met your quality specifications. However, be careful to check up his reviews and how to pay him so as not to get scammed.