Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory fire due to accidental igniting of raw materials

Default Factory fire due to accidental igniting of raw materials

This happened a few years back right in Metro Manila. A welder, who was doing repairs on the iron grills of a slippers factory, accidentally hit a pile of plastic and rubber materials that ignited and created a big fire that killed 74 workers who were trapped inside the factory. The question now is the responsibility who is the main responsible for the fire? The authorities are pointing to the management of the factory for the lack of fire safety measures. There were no functioning fire extinguishers and the place was a fire trap. Poor workers, they died just because of negligence on the part of the management.

Default Re: Factory fire due to accidental igniting of raw materials

Such incidents occur and happen in almost every business or company that operates with heavy machinery and dangerous materials, fortunately safety measures have improved in the last years.

That is such a big tragedy! And it could have been avoided if proper and adequate safety measures had been put in place. It all starts with the management. The management is ultimately responsible for the safety of every employee. They are to ensure that the work-space area whether its a factory or within a corporate setting is safe proof from all occupational hazards incidents. But this is especially important in manufacturing and assembly plants. People who work within this space are exposed every day to dangerous chemicals and materials, such that when there is an accident, it is often fatal and results in the death of so many.

I believe there should be a tighter law enforced by the government to ensure organisations complies with work-place safety regulations.

I have also read this in some news articles and actually I have a different views on it, but I'll just keep it to myself. Regarding your question, since you did say that there were no available fire hydrants and other safety measures when it happen. Then the company involved should be blamed for this. They were not following building codes and other city ordinances that's why it happen. It could have been prevented if the company is following legal steps and procedures.

I am so sorry to hear this tragedy. I think the company is to be blamed because in factories dealing with heavy machinery crisis like these will happen which cannot be avoided. But with proper safety measures, we can save human lives because if property is lost they can be replaced but human lives cannot be replaced. So, that is the responsibility of the company to have proper safety measures to save human lives.

That is absolutely awful. It is completely the fault of the management because of the lack of fire prevention tools in the factory. They should have fire extinguishers and other tools to battle fires if they ever happened. There should also be a slight blame with the welder because of the fact that he was doing it so close to the plastic. He should have made sure that there was nothing flamable nearby when he began his work. If they had proper safety measures then it may have not resulted in any deaths. This type of accident is totally avoidable and the management should be made to pay for such a large loss of life.

That is definitely sad. However I really do not think that the management is the one to blame. You see, safety should always come first, for each and every individual. It is everyone's responsibility to ensure that where they are working is safe. If it is a place prone to fires of whatever class, ensure that there are serviceable fire extinguishers, a fire zone and well written instructions on how to use the extinguishers. If not, then the issue should be reported to the necessary authorities. This way, many of the deaths that occur can be easily avoided.

I can't imagine how heartbroken the family members of those poor workers will be. I think the managements are to be blamed for this great loss of human lives. How can a company not have a single functioning fire extinguisher. I think if there are extinguishers in that building, the fire would have been putten off the moment it started and not have escalate to be able kill 78 workers. Moreover, there are supposed to be something like emergency exit doors that people can use when there are accidents like this. The management should be made to pay for such loss of human lives.

Diamond Member

There is a reason why places like that have regulations and make it clear how to avoid situations like this, especially in a warehouse where a fire can spread so quickly. I just hope that if it does happen, those people are learning from their mistakes.