Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What are the requirements for one to be a supply chain manager?

Default What are the requirements for one to be a supply chain manager?

There are potential supply chain managers in school who do not know how to go about it. It is obvious that for one to be a manager, you have to first be an employee in supply chain to get enough skills. This will mean that 5 years experience is enough for one to qualify in being a supply chain manager. What are some of the qualifications that one needs to be a supply chain manager?

Default Re: What are the requirements for one to be a supply chain manager?

It totally depends on the size of the company. If you are with a small, growing company usually the supply chain person splits off from an office worker who handled shipping. In my case, it was just a cross-over of skills that I had that the company was looking for. Someone with experience in shipping, with forklift experience and with good computer skills. The job was almost completely working on the computer while keeping an eye on the flow in the warehouse, but the fact that I had experience on forklifts and could load some trucks in a pinch got me the job over a pure office worker. I think there are a lot of small companies that would fall in the same range. So you want to be able to be both a warehouse worker, but also someone who has good skills on computers.

Default Re: What are the requirements for one to be a supply chain manager?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    It totally depends on the size of the company. If you are with a small, growing company usually the supply chain person splits off from an office worker who handled shipping. In my case, it was just a cross-over of skills that I had that the company was looking for. Someone with experience in shipping, with forklift experience and with good computer skills. The job was almost completely working on the computer while keeping an eye on the flow in the warehouse, but the fact that I had experience on forklifts and could load some trucks in a pinch got me the job over a pure office worker. I think there are a lot of small companies that would fall in the same range. So you want to be able to be both a warehouse worker, but also someone who has good skills on computers.
    I had never thought of that. Thank you for that detailed information. I must say luck was on your side. Nowadays, experience is more important than papers from school. Although one must have both, experience is more valued.