Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Experience

Default Experience

I recently graduated with campus. I had hopes of getting formal employment once I completed my studies. However, things have been a bit hard especially because many companies insist on 5-10 years experience. I am left wondering why they put such harsh conditions. Others even go to the extent of saying they need people with 15 years experience. I completed my studies at 24, meaning if I were to add another 15 years, it would mean that I am likely to get employed at 35. That is bad. I think that companies should not necessarily look at experience. They should hire fast learners who can grasp the rules of the job and do it well.

Member Plus

Default Re: Experience

It is worth applying anyway. Much of the time, 'the five years experience' thing is added by HR. We had one case with a job we were offering where we had no applicants and then found HR had added a requirement of 5 years experience in the software used. The software had only been available for three years, so the requirement was impossible to fulfil.

Default Re: Experience

Too many applicants mean they will always go for the ones who are most attractive for the position. In that case, searching in different locations might make landing a job more possible. However, though, if that's not even possible, then you might want to look into another field or get more education and/or volunteer experience.