Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hoarding

Default Hoarding

Many times, I have seen suppliers of basic commodities in my country hiding basic commodities with the aim of hiking prices. This is unethical and it should be condemned in the highest terms possible. The most affected are sugar and flour. We find that suppliers are greedy and they hide sugar so that there will be a shortage. They then release the hidden bags and earn unrealistic profits. I think that demand and supply should interact and create equilibrium in the economy. Both consumers and suppliers should not be greedy. Would you support hoarding?

Default Re: Hoarding

I don't agree with hoarding because it is a selfish motive. But considering the intention of the businessmen, they earn more than what they expect if they would hoard the commodity that will result in increased prices. Only the government can curtail this practice since they have the authority to arrest the hoarders. Particularly with rice, there are also rice hoarders here that have never been arrested simply because the government is not doing anything about it.

Diamond Member

It is kind of interesting to think about this more personal phenomenon in terms of how it relates tot he business side of things. A lot of the same things surely apply but there are a lot of people caught up in the mix now.

Member Plus

The problem is that it makes good business sense to buy low and sell high, and manufacturing shortage is just one of the less ethical methods used. It can be hard for governments to act, because how would they tell the difference between a business storing goods towards high seasonal demand, and one hoarding to create an artificial shortage?

Member Plus

I think hoarding is an ancient trick that's easily caught by consumer watchdogs and the government. It is not only a stressful scheme but one that can earn backlash against the company/people behind it. Modern business mindset would rather keep the products free flowing and earn consistently throughout the year rather than hoard and lose sales and anticipate gains from price increases due to shortage. With a free market, a seller of goods can't have monopoly on a product. There will always be other sellers who will bust the artificial shortage myth.

Most businesses around the globe, I mean the ones whose sole aim is to maximize profits, do not consider what is ethical sometimes when taking certain business decisions and that is the thing many of us that are outside those businesses have failed to understand. These people are into businesses to maximize their profits and if they see the opportunity to hoard products and sell them when the prices are quite high, they do it!

In Nigeria, most fuelling stations that sell crude oil products such as petrol, kerosene, diesel are guilty of such act of hoarding those products and as a result, create artificial scarcity of those products so as to cause excess demand to put the price up as a result of decrease in supply. So, I see that as pure business stretegy they adopt to increase their earnings.

However, this is where government should come into play by regulating how these products are sold and ensure that firms that sell such products do not hoard them just to create artificial scarcity in the economy. Aside from government intervention, I do not see such acts stopping soon.