Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Opportunities for power saving

Default Opportunities for power saving

In our office, we want to implement methods to save on energy usage and costs. How do you analyze, monitor and track opportunities for power saving? We want to reduce the demand power and the problems of power shortage. Can you help us with a long term strategic energy cost control?

Default Re: Opportunities for power saving

In the 1990s, our country had experienced power outages for up to 8 hours a day. Offices have implemented their share of power saving ways. It may not be much but our office has the "lights out" hour during lunch break. Can you imagine the whole 12-storey building with no lights on? And to add to that, teh centralized air conditioning system is turned on at 8:30 am for the official start of work and shuts down at 5:30 pm when the official time of work ends. I remember new electric fans were distributed in all the departments to augment the cooling of the office. For this modern time, all I can think of is the inverter appliances that saves 40% of power consumption. We just bought a new air conditioner that is an inverter and we are hoping that our electric bill this month will go down.

Has anyone considered solar panels? For instance, in Tennessee USA, my home, certain elementary schools have huge solar panels outside. Anyway, the initial cost is a lot, but it's supposed to pay for itself eventually and even go over.

Human beings sometimes can be stubborn. They need to be reminded over and over again about things. On that note, I think that putting small stickers about energy saving in the office could do some good. I have this in many companies. They put the stickers at each socket in the building. This is especially in the washrooms. They remind workers to always switch off the lights. Another solution would be to purchase solar panels. These would reduce the cost and still save on energy. The good thing about them is that it is a one-time investment.