Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Age Limit for Job Positions

Default Re: Age Limit for Job Positions

It's too bad that companies have job limits but these are rules and regulations set by a country. I think sometimes it depends with the population distribution in your country. For example, in my country youths are very many compared to older people. The retirement age is set in a way that more people will be accommodated. Every year people graduate and employment opportunities have to be created for them by eliminating the older people.

Bronze Member

Many times it's not even an explicit limit, but an implicit one, meaning that for companies it's easier to hire people under 40 than above 40, and if we get unemployed when we have more than that age, it will be extremely hard to find a job, even if we are peaking or skills and work capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine_Spirit View Post
    I consider this practice of limiting a position considering the age of the possible employee a big mistake. Positions of great importance require knowledge (professional and personal, after all, people are people) and the accumulation of knowledge is more solidly evident over the years.

I'm not against young people occupying positions of great importance, but I think in general, for more academic formations these young people have, they also have against them the experience of life. A company doesn't survive and prospers only on employees, and their jobs... But rather, on the interaction among them all.

Me too, its a mistake.

Young people need entry level career building positions, whilst mature applicants need opportunities of promotion and development.

Mature people offer industry knowledge and general work life experience in tenure or exposure to various employment opportunities that may be of interest to a business, that is quite a valuable commodity to have in your business, that can be pulled in by senior management as skills based tools to utilze in the work place.

Lets not forget the level of maturity, insight and decision making when needed from someone who has lived through life's challenges.

However, I do believe in shouldering a young buck and grooming for more senior positions in the pipeline if they have shown talent, thats my opinion in a nutshell.

there is lot of variations in age criteria from category to departments.

Quote Originally Posted by doler View Post
    there is lot of variations in age criteria from category to departments.
    Ah-uh, yes of course there is in specific criteria, I was commenting in general.

For example: if you want to be a Combat Pilot for the RMAF entry age is approx 18-27 years of age as it is the preferred age group. They receive young applicants because the human body is at its optimum performance to cope with sustained g-forces and learning capabilities, also health benefits like eyes and hearing etc.

But in business and/or logistics what I said above is the most accepted view if you look around and see who is in what positions running todays coporate world senior management positions.

it will be extremely hard to find a job, even if we are peaking or skills and work capacity

Sometimes age limits are justifiable. For instance, an older man might not be able to lift as much as a younger one. On the other hand, though, sometimes they are not justifiable. For instance, there are plenty of 40-year-olds who can think as well as a 20 year old, well, at least enough to do a certain job.

It is quite sad and disheartening that some companies place age restrictions on some managerial positions and forget that the major considerations should lie on how qualified the person is for particular positions. Qualifications may come in the way of years of working or how high the person has gone in acquiring certain certifications from colleges. What if they end up getting someone that is 45 of age, but he/she is not fit for such positions? is that not a bad firm decison on their part which I think should be reviewed.

The qualifications on attaining a certain level should be based not only on age but how experienced the staff that needs the promotion has gotten over the years of service. Sadly, even in Nigeria where I come from, this issue of being at a certain age before getting a particular positions also comes to play and I do not agree with that. This is because age is not maturity

If it is a government job then the maximum age for up to which you can apply is 27 years and you have to retire at maximum 55 years. If it is a private company it depends on the experience but in my place getting employed in their respective field of study is itself is a difficult task and nowadays everything has become based on recommendation from someone from the company. It is really a pain to work in my place.

I think so that this is totally bad and wrong.There should be no age limit to apply for the jobs to earn money.Many people do study in their whole life and couldn't get a good job because of age limits.After that they become more depressed and many people may die due to this reason.I think so that this thing should be removed from our society to make it prosperous.