Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When superior is not respected

Default When superior is not respected

There was a time when one supervisor complained that he is not being respected by his subordinate. I know that the subordinate is a rich guy and acts like a spoiled brat that'svwhy I already had an idea what the problem is all about. My advice was for the superior to act superior. I had seen that his subordinate was trying to bully him. The superior should stand up and not be stymied by that rich subordinate.

What can you advise?

Default Re: When superior is not respected

The surbodinate seems to be lacking in some work ethics. Being rich doesn't put him over any one. However, you should also check if the supervisor is asking for too much respect. It happens sometimes, when the supervisor can treat you anyhow and if you don't comply he reports you to the authority. Well, if the supervisor isn't the problem, I'd advice him to report the case to the authority, if this doesn't work, let him maintain his principles and maybe the surbodinate shall come around someday.

Member Plus

We were having some employees who were relatives of some big shots in politics. The company wanted their services to have a better relationship with Government authorities and political leaders. Whenever there is a crisis in getting approval for a new contract company use their services. Even though they are in sales they never come to office on time. But when a new HR Cheif took over he issued warning letters to all those who were not punctual to office.

Finally they gave in and started coming to office on time. HODs were quite impressed by the new HR Chief and it was a moment pride for the whole HR Team in fact. Otherwise they were making a mockery of the entire system.

Bronze Member

Professional bullying happens a lot, so all superiors need to do is prove their authority. It's all a game of power, and if a subordinate is not behaving properly, there are mechanism to put him in the right place. If there is no reaction, he will just keep on doing it.

Bronze Member

I have equally experienced a situation where there was a slight misunderstanding between a worker and his superior. What pissed me off more was that the junior was raising his voice at the senior worker. I hate it when junior employees disrespect their seniors, if I am in same department with such a person I'd work his transfer out.

Diamond Member

Well this can really open the door to a whole lot of negative things happening, and it is really something that everyone should keep an eye on. IT is not always easy though because you have to think about how that person got there to begin with.

I think everyone should respect their superior at work. There has to be a chain of command put into place, at every job, or there would be complete chaos in the workforce. On the other hand sometimes people in superior positions go on power trips and that in my opinion doesn't turn out well.

Member Plus

If a subordinate can't respect a superior, a major problem is created (and most often, the one who harms is the subordinate).

If there is a degree of hierarchy, it's obvious that it has to be followed. If there is a problem (either with the superior or with the subordinate... after all, the two sides have to be heard before any final decision) it has to be put on the table and try to be solved in the most peaceful way possible.

Bronze Member

A few years ago we had a new boss, we were a team of 4, and he entered very authoritarian, wanting to change our usual holidays regardless the needs of the service, and we went against him, and were almost accused of insubordination. The fact is a good boss needs to be reasonable and flexible, demanding the employees things that are not necessary will just create unnecessary problems.

Member Plus

I would say it goes both ways. A supervisor should be respected, but the flip side of that is that they have act in a way the deserves respect. If the supervisor comes in an hour late, leaves early and takes long lunches, then they have no right to complain if their employees do not respect them, (or report them to upper management). However, if the supervisor is doing their job well, their employees should respect them, and part of doing their job well is handling people who don't. As a supervisor, they do have the tools, they just need the will to use them.

You have to make sure your management style works with the team. If you come into a high performing team where everyone is an expert, trying to tell them how to do their jobs will only harm performance. Likewise, a team used to an authoritarian atyle might not perform so well under a hands-off style. Like any change, a new management style has to be introduced gradually and allowed to settle in.