Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Working on Christmas - Good or Bad Idea?

Default Working on Christmas - Good or Bad Idea?

Some people hate the idea that some companies force employees to work on Christmas. In addition, a lot of employees resent working on that day. Do you feel that whole practice should stop? Of course, some might argue that employees might get extra pay or some other perk to make up for their trouble and that those working on Christmas might get another day off.

Anyhow, would you visit a non-essential store that was open on Christmas?

Default Re: Working on Christmas - Good or Bad Idea?

I am vacationing in Malaysia right now. One thing I noticed in the mall are some stores that are closed. It is Chinese New Year yesterday. Those closed stores are owned or operated by Chinese. They don't work on holidays. But for a good business sense, a holiday is time for buying that's why retail stores are in a scramble for the holiday season.

If you work for a company that benefits during holidays then I guess it is your duty to work instead of taking a day off and ignore the opportunity.

I personally would have no problem working during Christmas. I know it's a holiday and it's time to rest and share with your family but I still work. So that I can have ample time with my family I make sure I leave work early. I've never celebrated Christmas without going to work. If everyone stopped working for a whole day just because it's a holiday, I think there would be a very big commotion, even the earth would stop rotating

Diamond Member

Up until this year I have always had jobs where I have been either suckered into working the holidays or just had to, but I am glad that this is not the case, at least for now. It is frustrating having to work when you know everyone else is off.

Bronze Member

I usually spend all my vacation days in the summer because that is when the schools close and I need to be with my kids, so I have no issues working in Christmas, as usually I spend it close to where I live. Also, Christmas time is usually not as busy as other seasons, so it's not so bad to work in that time.

Bronze Member

It depends on the nature of business I would say, most businesses in my view are supposed to be closed on Christmas day. However, I see some other jobs like security, transporters or news casters as those that should be on duty even on Christmas day going by their sensitive nature especially security.

Member Plus

I think most people should hate having to work at Christmas. But I see two different situations for this context (whether involving this or any other holiday):

1. If you work for someone else, this will definitely only benefit your boss and / or company. The most you can do is earn some extra money (usually ccompanied by some annoyance for having a sense of "loss of time").

2. If you work for yourself, your sense of pleasure at being established with your own business makes all the effort worthwhile.

Bronze Member

Someone has to work in Christmas, and depending on the business it has to be rather busy. Sure, I was not meaning Christmas Eve or Christmas day, that has to suck especially when we have kids, and I am fortunate not to work on those days. But most people working in retail know that they need to sell, it's the most profitable time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine_Spirit View Post
    I think most people should hate having to work at Christmas. But I see two different situations for this context (whether involving this or any other holiday):

1. If you work for someone else, this will definitely only benefit your boss and / or company. The most you can do is earn some extra money (usually ccompanied by some annoyance for having a sense of "loss of time").

2. If you work for yourself, your sense of pleasure at being established with your own business makes all the effort worthwhile.

I think it depends on the type of business that the company is involved in considering that some products are in high demands during the Christmas period while some other products are not needed during the festive season. So, if one works in a company whose products are in high demand during the Christmas, then I do not see any reason you should not work during that period for it is even during the period that those firms make abnormal profits that keep the company going.

It is always important to access the background of the firm you're registering to work for, so as to fall into the trap of working during Christmas period when others should be celebrating and enjoying.

Working or not working during festivals entirely depends upon the business/job you are engaged with. People in jobs get a paid holiday so they prefer going to holiday trips or meeting their family and friends but people with contract jobs hate 'forced holidays which is common in many countries. However businessmen work over time during holidays because they make lots of extra monies during this period. I know many good factory professionals here in Australia working on contract basis sent on forced holidays for three weeks work for Uber and make good money since most people do not want to risk their license earning demerit points after drinking heavily.