Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lack of focus at work

Default Lack of focus at work

The job of the supervisor is to oversee his subordinates in doing the job properly. In this time of distractions by technology, that is a hard task to do especially if the job is in the drawing table and not in the assembly line. Most thinkers need tools like computers and you can guess what I mean. In the olden days, one distraction was the chatting. It is common among the male employees to talk about the previous night’s basketball game on TV. And for the female, it is more of the movie and tv celebrities. But now, there are complaints that I hear about too much technology that workers cannot concentrate on their work anymore.

Member Plus

Default Re: Lack of focus at work

If the problem is people being distratced by the internet, there are ways to limit the sites a web connection can go to. Your IT department should have that in place anyway to help prevent viruses and other problems on the network.

If people are using their phones at work, then there's not so much you can do. I know one place of work which insists phones be left in an employee's locker during working hours to prevent accidents. You don't want a forklift driver checking his phone while he is driving!

Bronze Member

I think each department needs to have objectives, and if they achieve their objectives, I really don't care about focus or not. If the objectives are not demanding or realistic, that is a problem, so the key to solve the focus or motivation question is to measure the achievement and how adequate goals are, and with that focus will appear. It's called accountability.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by to7update View Post
    I think each department needs to have objectives, and if they achieve their objectives, I really don't care about focus or not. If the objectives are not demanding or realistic, that is a problem, so the key to solve the focus or motivation question is to measure the achievement and how adequate goals are, and with that focus will appear. It's called accountability.
    Very true. Management should take a lenient view if the employee is meeting his daily/monthly targets. In some companies employees are more engaged in computer games and Internet which adversely affect quality of their work. Some IT companies started allowing their employees to use social media sites at their workplaces provided they meet the targets assigned to them.

I think employees should be free to give a break to jobs at least for some time so that their minds are refreshed and they start thinking creatively.

Diamond Member

I think that like everyone, my focus tends to go down as the week goes on. It is just that fresh perspective, so Mondays are okay and them from there it is just pretty hit or miss, at least for me. Sometimes there is some interesting work material, but that is kind of rare in my company.

It seems like it would be as simple as a no cell phone policy and the removal of the internet from company computers etc.. However, though, it could be the case where the owners want people to have cell phones and/or computers, but only for company business or emergencies. In that case, how is it possible to effectively manage the situation?

I think this does happen for most of the people. And they have to pay attention to the HR and the manager here. You can see they can able to solve the issues that people have in this case. Though not a lot of people can focus on the work all the time. So we have to keep their condition in mind too. Based on that we'd be able to manage the workers and their mindset. That's what I have learned over the years. It may change eventually if the workers can put in effort.

Technology deconcentrates because one can do so much different thing with. However, there is a need for rules and penalties to keep employees focused when they are at work.

I think that instead of forbidding the administrator to check if the employee has completed his job, if employee finish he or she can allow them to visit the site without harming other employees.

Hi,
    Great advice. I totally agree with you.
    It is important to give some break to employees on work, so they can relax and work with the fresh mind.
    Thanks