Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Education or Experience

Bronze Member

Default Education or Experience

If you were a managing director of an establishment looking to recruit new employee where would you put more emphasis, education or experience. We have seen cases of workers who may not have adequate formal education for a job but haven't work in that department for long have gathered the necessary experience. On the other hand some workers are lacking in experience especially young school leavers but have all the needed formal training.

Default Re: Education or Experience

When I was new in my first job, I had the notion that experience counts a lot. That is true until now but education is more important in the long run. I have seen good performing employees being bypassed in promotion simply because they have no college degree. That is why in that office, I have several office mates who were continuing their studies in the evening while working because of that reason – the company prefers education over experience. But I know that there are some companies that give a premium on the experience of an employee.

Diamond Member

This is a tough one, and I am sure that many managers and HR department struggle with this one on a regular basis. I would think that some industries are better off favoring experience in their employees, while other may benefit more from educated employees.

Bronze Member

I think these days most employers go for experience over education anytime. There is one exception though, government jobs, as those see education as a legal requirement, so if they ask for a degree, it doesn't matter the experience you have, if you don't have that specific degree, you'll never get the job.

Bronze Member

The fact remains young school leavers need work to gather the experience that many employers are looking for. This issue have rendered many jobless even after graduating with good grades. They cannot manufacture any experience to back up their educational achievements. I think companies should understand this and create room for people with little or no experience to come in, maybe as intern at first.

Member Plus

It depends on the actual situation. I think in some cases experience is more desirable than education. A person having good academic but without any on the job training experience may find it difficult to perform sensitive works, especially if it is something that is directly affecting the end customer. That is why private companies often take a lenient view on candidates having good experience.

But in some areas like legal departments you should have a good educational qualification which is very important to perform your duties in the right way. Lack of education may leave you in troublesome water.

Since companies see both as important, they might authorize some sort of apprenticeship program for people fresh out of a college or trade school. Nonetheless, though, shouldn't it be the job of a school to adequately prepare workers? I mean, isn't that the point of them existing?

Member Plus

The right thing is not to have to choose between education or experience, but rather to try to strike a balance between these two options. Otherwise, young people would never go to work because they have no experience (despite having the education). By the way, experience alone doesn't guarantee employment for a long time because someone more qualified can come and take the place.

Member Plus

I think it depends on what position the person is applying for. I mean, in my place, in order to be a janitor , most companies require at least two years of college education. I mean, even a person who just studied a few years of elementary can clean something. While a lot of people who are arrogant and young get a nice position just because they studied in a fancy school. I must say, I would pick someone with experience and has good work ethics than someone who is educated but doesn't act like one.

Member Plus

Most office jobs will require a college degree. In our company, the only jobs open to non-college grads are those of the messenger, janitor, and receptionist. Some department secretary positions don't require degrees but they do require applicants to have two to three year schooling for secretarial and office management courses. There are always entry level positions in a company and these jobs don't require experience so newly grads can apply for those positions to gain experience. Most college graduates have 6 months to one year of internship so they're not exactly clueless about work or the corporate set up. As always, the competition is tough. For one position, there can be 100 applicants. Those who have outstanding academic records from reputable universities will surely have an advantage. For higher positions with corresponding higher pay, so much more is required on top of the college degree. Years of job experience in another company does not guarantee that the person will be a perfect fit for the company.