Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying products directly from Farmers

Member Plus

Default Re: Buying products directly from Farmers

There are several farmers' markets around where farmers get together and sell their goods directly to the public. It is cheaper for the customer, and the farmers make more profit. While they are popular, the problem is that goods can only be sold when in season, and storage of very fresh goods can be difficult. There are also problems like logistics, shipping, etc, so not all farmers want to sell this way.

Despite the fact that I live in a urban region, not far away we approach a great deal of homestead shops where we can purchase our eggs, cheddar and drain, products of the soil straightforwardly from the agriculturists yet they are exceptionally costly. I'm certain we are all very much aware that they are better for you, yet in the event that individuals are attempting to purchase sustenance from a general store, there's unquestionably no chance that they will have the capacity to manage the cost of the natural things rather with the goal that at that point puts significantly more weight on the ranchers.

In a perfect world I'm certain that we would all adoration to purchase natural or develop our own nourishments, however as a general rule it's just impractical or pragmatic.

I think as you rightly pointed out that buying directly from farmers saves one money that we would have paid the middle men that bring those goods to us in cities to buy. My parents always send money to our grandmum at the village to buy farming produce such as cassava, maize, yam and the rest since it is cheaper and you purchase a bigger quantity of those produce with a smaller amount of money which is a great way to reduce cost and maximize satisfaction as a buyer.

I feel people should always have liked to buying directly from farmers in the villages or visit the farmers' market in cities, so as to get the best deal for every dollar spent on buying those products. The reason is that those farmers are ready to sell and the rpices even reduce when they notice that the buyers are not willing to accept the prices they have placed such products they sell.

Our department of agriculture has been designing a system to bring the market closer to the farmers. That is to eliminate the involvement of middlemen which adds to the cost and thereby increase the price of farm products. However, the trials did not prove effective because it seems that the farmers still want to deal with the middlemen. If only the farm to market arrangement will be implemented, prices of farm products will definitely be lesser.

Buying directly from farmers has many benefits as we can feel the freshness of products by checking them.We can ask farmer about different characteristics of the products briefly.Our farmer can guide us in a more convenient environment.I am currently living in a state which is very popular due to its agriculture.That's why I don't find it difficult to buy products from farmers directly.

I think farmers are back bone of any country. I think every farmer should get his product sold. And the foreign products should be bought last. And that's how it should be working as well. I guess it takes a lot of time for this to work. But farmers should work with the local brands. And they should be working in all possible ways to deal with the competition. And govt should give subsidy son that the products get properly sold as well. That's what I think.

A Nice topic, as a retail customer I like the idea of buying things from farmers' market only when I have to stock certain items like grains, pulses, fruits and vegetables. I am basically from India where it's a common practice that farmers from nearby villages gather at a particular point every week and sell their produce to customers directly. They may chose another point on other days of the week to cater for customers of other areas as well. At my current location in Australia we have limited choices but we get stuff at really low rates but the problem is that these are at distant places so not very economical for smaller families.

Member Plus

I am also a farmer and I see many benefits of selling produce directly to the consumer instead of middle man. When a farmer sell directly to a consumer and a consumer buys directly from a farmer, both buyer and producer benefits. However, if you sell it to a midle man (a grocery, supermarket, or a retailer), most of the money will be taken by him. Let me examplify. I sell one kg of tomatoes for $1 to a midle man, he adds his profit and sells for $2, the consumer will be paying $2 when he could have purchased for $1 if he had bought directly from me. Let say, it cost 25 cents to produce one kg of tomatoes. I mae 75 cents profit by selling it, however, the middle man will be making $1 profit.

Buying products regardless of their nature directly from farmers has a lot of benefits on the local community as well as the country as a whole since it increases stability and profit.

It's difficult which is why farmers prefer selling to large stores in bulk. Selling at farmers markets are great because it can result in a lot more profit for the farmer since there are no middle man costs. But the problem is that he/she then has to take the responsibility for everything including storage, transporation etc. It's just easier to sell to a large business like a supermarket because you then do not have to worry about delivery or storage. Of course, you get paid a lot less especially since supermarkets tend to have the upper hand in the bargaining process. The best thing to do is to do a mixture, sell most of your stock to supermarkets and other businesses. And if you have any spare products on the side, go and sell them at a farmers market.