Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offers non-stop

Bronze Member

Default Offers non-stop

I figured out during period of offers or sales there appears to be high increase in the sales of commodities in shops. Whenever the sales or offer are over the tempo of business would go down. I am of the view there should shops should have sales mechanisms that would make offers in varying forms run concurrently throughout the year.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Offers non-stop

It kind of makes you wonder how much research goes into how the firms choose their sales and when to put in those mechanisms. I would be willing to bet that the ones who do more research probably benefit from it a lot more.

During the holiday season, it rare to see a store with no bargain or extra deals because having a sale during this time is the order of the day. Manufacturers are ready with the surge of sales and discounts that’s why there is the usual price increase of commodities after the holidays. In early January, expect the consumers to pay back what they got from the discounts during the holiday season. Stores are not much affected because they offer the discounts based on the cost of their purchases from their suppliers.

Bronze Member

Stores know exactly what they are doing and many times those sales and discounts are even negotiated with their suppliers, who are forced to lower their margins in order to get to a specific retailers. It's all sharks out there!

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tpicks View Post
    I figured out during period of offers or sales there appears to be high increase in the sales of commodities in shops. Whenever the sales or offer are over the tempo of business would go down. I am of the view there should shops should have sales mechanisms that would make offers in varying forms run concurrently throughout the year.
    Very true. But I think doing it regularly will actually result in losing its charm and customers will gradually neglect it. In that case after some time sales may come back to its initial position. Usually companies give offers during festive seasons or if there is a clearance sale. During festive seasons if there is good movement of goods and services it could be highly profitable for the company. Similarly, during clearance sales company wanted to get rid of old stock and show off their new arrivals. So they will sell it off at the reduced profit margin I guess. So it cannot be a regular feature I think.

To make such methods of sales and promotions running concurrently throughout the year is no small or easy task, however. It takes extra time and resources, untiring dedication on the part of all of the staff base, and a solid amount of spendable income and revenue. Not all businesses can afford any or all of these....

Member Plus

If a store runs large scale sales through the year, the customers simply get used to it and factor the lower prices in. We have a store by us that has had a constant sale for three years now, but after the first three months, custom dropped back to normal levels. If they try to raise the prices again, customers complain and sales stop. The other problem is that if prices are already low the store can't lower them further when the big seasonal sales come round as there is no margin.

The UK actually has a law that a product cannot be marked as "on sale" unless it has been sold at full price for a certain number of days in that chain's shops. Still, most stores have special offers and discounted items available through the year to keep customers coming in.

All these are factors which must be neatly and accurately accounted for, especially during the busier times of the year. By this, yes, I mean the holiday season in general. People cannot make mistakes here....

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by to7update View Post
    Stores know exactly what they are doing and many times those sales and discounts are even negotiated with their suppliers, who are forced to lower their margins in order to get to a specific retailers. It's all sharks out there!
    That's most likely otherwise with high discount being allowed in some items as off sales is such that can cause a big loss to the merchants. There are sure going to be some arrangement between the producers and the sellers to make some huge sales possible.

Diamond Member

I always seem to find myself saying this time of the year and just attributing everything to that, but I am starting to realize that I do this and it really cannot apply all the time. Kind of makes me want to do some research on what is going on here.