Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Price surge for the holidays

Default Price surge for the holidays

Any businessman will tell you that a price increase is the order of the day a month before the holiday season in the Philippines. Most businesses tend to order products in advance in order to avoid paying extra. However, the risk is spoilage especially for perishable goods. Imported products also abound during this season but the price increase sometimes makes it exorbitant for poor people.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Price surge for the holidays

A price increase on goods and services is common around the holiday periods in most countries to be honest, but as a consumer I'm not especially happy about it.

Why should I pay more for an item just because it's being sold in between Christmas and New year? Also a lot of the time it's the actual stores that bump the price up, so the actual manufacturer doesn't get any more than what they would at any other time of the year which is wrong.

Bronze Member

Nothing like buying ahead when we can, but these maneuvers are just common for retailers, as they are always aiming to maximize profits. At the same time, I think this is more honest than those that offer a 20% discount, when in reality they have increase prices 40% before, so that they could make that "promotion".

Member Plus

I remember buying some red peppers a day before Christmas, I was in the market and looking for veggies to buy. I asked how much the peppers cost, I was shocked when the lady told me they're 200 php per 250 grams. I bought around 15 pcs of them and she charged me for 50 php.

Diamond Member

The holidays are always a little extra frustrating and confusing when it comes to pricing, from both sides really. I remember a certain firm we had to deal with once who would always get crazy around these times and it was always a headache.

Bronze Member

Just now I arrived from shopping and I bought shrimp at a really high price, but with that variation, not only it was expensive, but they also told me I had a discount. Haha, I know how much shrimp costs, so no point in trying to deceive people like that.