Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing unproductive workers

Diamond Member

Default Re: Replacing unproductive workers

Quote Originally Posted by Vampa View Post
    Unproductive workers should be fired. This is why it is important that promotions are given to workers who'll enforce company policy and ensure that unproductive workers get some negative motivation to force them to be more productive because if I must be honest while it's easy to fire unproductive workers it might be hard to find replacements who're as experienced as them.
    I agree, I think if they have been given ample chances to turn their productivity around and they fail to meet with the requirements then the company has the right to replace them with someone who will. Like you said though, it's not always as simple since you may not be able to find a replacement with the same skill set and experience as quickly.

Bronze Member

You have to first find out why are the workers not productive or meeting up to expectations. Some companies work system are poor, a new employee will join a company the management wouldn't make any provision to train them in line of how work goes in the company. For example they aren't exposed to how the system of operations, such as feeding data into computers, stock tagging, arrangement and many more. They are expected to blend into the system of work without taking out time to have them properly trained for a few weeks.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    It cannot be denied that there are unproductive workers in our midst. It is just that big companies are so compassionate that they leave them just like that. But in our office, we are very strict with productivity that we make a weekly report on the production of our subordinates. There are several employees who were forced to resign last year due to lack of productivity. I know it is not right to terminate them so the company makes way for them to leave.
    It happens in our company too. But we give them a chance for performance improvement. HR usually issue a warning letter to Poor performers with a target to achieve. If they fail they will be asked to leave. If he was a good performer earlier HR also try to find out the reason behind low output and try to cover it up with training and counseling if possible.

If there is no replacement available for a particular position we would wait till another person is groomed to that position. Professionals usually cooperate with company on this as they will be given enough time to look for another job. It's hard decision to take but I think it is required as it serves as a warning signal for others too.

For big companies, replacing a non-performing employee is easier said than done because knowing that he can get something from the company, the employee may file a formal complaint with the labor department. But for small companies, the trick is to tell the employee that the company is going bankrupt so there is the offer of a better separation pay, slightly above the amount dictated by law. And the employee would usually grab that opportunity.

Member Plus

Most of the companies I've been with have no place for unproductive workers as each job position has very specific role and objectives such that non-performance will definitely impact the company's performance in a negative way. When that happens, it will give the company the justification to fire the non-performer after complying with due process as provided in the company rules and regulations manual. It is important to set the KRAs and KPIs and make performance review a regular thing. My present company does the performance review on a monthly basis and it helps call the employee's attention to his/her performance as well as provide an opportunity to nip problems in the bud.

Possibly unproductive workers are simply bad at their job. I don't think a lot of people who can do a job would be lazy about it. The real problem lies in the fact employees are not being matched with employers where they can do well. However, there could be exceptions. For instance, if an employee is hooked on drugs or doesn't get enough sleep because they hold two jobs, then that could be reasoning behind poor work habits.

7. Likes pwarbi liked this post
    Diamond Member

Like you say, there are various reasons why an employee might be under performing and as an employer then it's wise to try and find out what the actual problem is before we go around sacking people. Personal problems can affect a persons productivity and as an employer we have to be sympathetic to that, but at the same time also make sure that we do the best for the business and for the other employees as well. If one person not doing their job is putting pressure on others, no matter what the reason is then there needs to come a point when we make that decision whether to let that employee go, no matter how hard and heartless that may seem.

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I personally don't think big companies ignore unproductive workers due to compassion and instead just maybe due to oversight since they have so many employees most of the time and unless there is a good enough system to track each individual's productivity chances are some will slip through the cracks and will be able to just skate by. I agree that it really should be a priority by companies regardless of their size though.
    Very true. I too think profit oriented companies usually do not take a lenient view on poor performers. Some cases may slip through only by chance in case of a huge manpower base. But otherwise management is quite vigilant in tracking down low performers and disguised employees as this can directly hit their profit margins.

The goal of a company could be adversely affected by a few low performing employees and it is mandatory for them to replace those employees. But some companies try to find out the exact reason behind their performance issues and rectify it at root level. But there is only 50/50 chance of success.

finding keyword with this tool is great and is good for seo
    سئو

Instead of doing that I suggest appoint a team leader or manager who can motivate or make them a productive employee.