Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing unproductive workers

Default Replacing unproductive workers

It cannot be denied that there are unproductive workers in our midst. It is just that big companies are so compassionate that they leave them just like that. But in our office, we are very strict with productivity that we make a weekly report on the production of our subordinates. There are several employees who were forced to resign last year due to lack of productivity. I know it is not right to terminate them so the company makes way for them to leave.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Replacing unproductive workers

I personally don't think big companies ignore unproductive workers due to compassion and instead just maybe due to oversight since they have so many employees most of the time and unless there is a good enough system to track each individual's productivity chances are some will slip through the cracks and will be able to just skate by. I agree that it really should be a priority by companies regardless of their size though.

Bronze Member

Actually, it happens a lot and pretty much every day anywhere in the world. Some employers fire this type of workers right away, others give them some kind of a pep-talk and, If that turns unproductive, then fire them. The worst thing about being fired is not getting the money you have already earned before the termination.

In small companies with a plantilla of less than 100 workers, there is no place for unproductive workers since the work is equally divided. One example is a factory which always counts the output of each worker. That quantity of output is their basis for hiring more workers or for terminating the services of some because the company cannot survive with excess baggage in their payroll. That's why the supervisors in factories are much pressured when it comes to performance rating of their workers.

I have to say in my years of working for other people there are those that are left alone and are never talked to about being more productive. They are usually the guys that have been with the company for 20 years and have gotten into a slow rhythm and they refuse to change. Company execs have ignored or swept them under the rug to just keep them quiet and out of the way. Is that fair to the guys that are busting their chops everyday and producing twice as much as the senior people? No it isn't. I think any company that practices this method of management is doomed to fail.

Diamond Member

This is a universal problem. Many companies have created a warning regime for employees which have been found to be unproductive. In some organizations the guilty employee would at first be given a verbal warning and if a similar type of behaviour should occur again, a written warning is issued. If there is a third infringement, the worker would most likely be fired.

7. Likes Norm liked this post
    Silver Member

Unproductive workers should be fired. This is why it is important that promotions are given to workers who'll enforce company policy and ensure that unproductive workers get some negative motivation to force them to be more productive because if I must be honest while it's easy to fire unproductive workers it might be hard to find replacements who're as experienced as them.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorerx7 View Post
    This is a universal problem. Many companies have created a warning regime for employees which have been found to be unproductive. In some organizations the guilty employee would at first be given a verbal warning and if a similar type of behaviour should occur again, a written warning is issued. If there is a third infringement, the worker would most likely be fired.
    I think positive reinforcement is a lot better than negative reinforcement such as threatening them to get fired when they are lazy, but i do still think that either way is fair since the employee is expected to perform at a certain level and that is part of the contract they signed initially when gaining the position. In my opinion sometimes in cases like this the company is at fault for not putting in a good enough system to incentivize the employees but of course most of the time both sides share the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampa View Post
    Unproductive workers should be fired. This is why it is important that promotions are given to workers who'll enforce company policy and ensure that unproductive workers get some negative motivation to force them to be more productive because if I must be honest while it's easy to fire unproductive workers it might be hard to find replacements who're as experienced as them.
    Firing unproductive employees is easier said than done. There is a law protecting the tenure of permanent employees and you can only terminate them for cause. And although being unproductive can be a case against the employee, it is not easy sailing when it comes to the labor department. What most companies do with those kind of employees is to force them to resign by not giving them any work assignment. We call it being in the freezer. In our office, some employees were not given a computer and all they do is sit on the table for the whole day. That situation would make you resign.

Enter a search query into Google, using a relevant keyword(phrase) you’d like to rank for.