Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gender specific position

Default Gender specific position

There are jobs that are designed for women and there are jobs that are designed for me. In the olden days, only men are allowed to be cops and soldiers. In the office, the receptionist is usually female but the position is being contested as gender discriminatory. And even waitresses in karaoke bars are also being contested. Do you agree that there are specific jobs that are designed for a particular gender?

Diamond Member

Default Re: Gender specific position

As an employer I do think that when advertising for these gender specific roles you have to be careful, but there ARE jobs that need to be done by one or the other, and you can't mix. I know that equality and diversity is a huge thing at the moment and especially in the UK, but if your business is for example caring for elderly females, then I would expect that the criteria you would be looking for in an employee would need to be a female first and foremost, and so advertising for females only would be acceptable.

Bronze Member

Well, I'm not sexist... so, pretty much any job can be done regardless of a gender. However, stereotypes that live in us are still super strong, you know.

Diamond Member

I think it's okay to say as a boss that you need a specific gender for a certain job position and I don't think it's that much different from saying you need a specific personality or skill to fill that spot. I don't think there's much wrong in that but I do think there is a line and one can go overboard with putting up such a requirement wherein they fail to see that there might be exceptions to that rule and at that point it is the company's loss for not being adaptable.

I don't believe in gender discrimination. However, I suspect a lot of restaurants make a lot of money cause certain men want to see female employees. However, it could be true, though, that female customers at a restaurant are wanting male employees. I don't really know. Note, if a business like a restaurant seems to make money from having more female employees then men, then is it wrong for them to turn down male applicants because they're bad for business?

Anyhow, you might call this stalking, but I think it's human nature. People want to see a familiar face. Oh, by the way, I am speaking of normal family restaurants or fast food places.

Member Plus

Personally I don't advocate gender specific roles but it is a fact that woman power is still underestimated in all areas. But we can see definite improvement in this area. In our country many top positions are being handled by female employees. Our top banks are headed by women and also we had an able woman Prime Minister in the past too.

But when it comes to certain positions where night shift is required male employees are usually recommended even in Government jobs. There are only a few and in all other areas it is mandatory to keep a certain percentage of female employees.

Bronze Member

The era of jobs being gender specific is over I guess. Nowadays you will see that jobs which were originally believe to be men, for example military, now have a good representation of women. Similarly nursing which was thought to be job for women decades back now have a good number of men in it. In this computer age and time I doubt if employers still bother about gender when recruiting. Competency is what matters.

I wouldn't say cops is a job just for men, but obviously, waitresses in karaoke bars would have to be women - because the men are coming to see females. Anyway, what is my reasoning in the first case? Well, generally speaking, women can often be as tough as guys, and really, how much muscle do you need to use a gun?

Member Plus

Not at all. No way. The capacity a professional is something totally independent of the gender. Men are no smarter than women, and vice versa. This was something created by society so that there was a clear gender segregation. In my opinion, this is something so stupid that I don't believe still exists nowadays.

Bronze Member

These days it's far from it there are no jobs that are gender sensitive anymore the world has advanced pass that stage. I read decades ago some particular jobs were dominated by a particular gender. The military were dominated by males, engineering was a male profession, nursing was a female dominated profession. Good thing the era of thinking a particular profession is for one gender is gone. There are many women in military, health and engineering nowadays and vice versa.