Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    111

    Default The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    According to Bloomberg data it is in the range of at least $500k initial investment (total cost bewteen $900k and $2 million) with minimum requirement for franchisees to finance it (i.e. the $500k minimum) via cash not debt and that they hold at least $750k in liquid assets.

    The below article also presents data about a lot of other costs involved such as kitchen equipment renewal, interior redesign etc.

    I personally though Mc Donald's was cheaper than this and more in the range of $250k. Luckily there are less expensive franchises for any prospective investors here such as the Subway one which costs between $116k and $260k.

    http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...donalds-2016-9

  2. #2
    Member Plus
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    It is cheaper, if you are willing to open it in emerging economies like China or India! I believe they allow foreign investment as well. The cost of a mcD franchise is around 200k there, much less than the half a million dollars that you're telling us about. Although, if you are willing and able to travel across half the world to open a franchise, you're already a millionaire.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    Quote Originally Posted by djchain View Post
    It is cheaper, if you are willing to open it in emerging economies like China or India! I believe they allow foreign investment as well. The cost of a mcD franchise is around 200k there, much less than the half a million dollars that you're telling us about. Although, if you are willing and able to travel across half the world to open a franchise, you're already a millionaire.
    Nope you can't do that, things are not as simple as you imagine. You don't just wind up as a foreigner in an 'emerging' economy and open an extremely lucrative franchise such a McDonolad's. The way this is set up in these type of countries is through local companies with exclusivity distribution rights over certain areas (or the whole country), these companies are often co-owned = local cronies + McDonalds and they most certainly wouldn't let you make "easy" money instead of them. Bear in mind that McDonalds in return of accepting this type of set up and monopoly, they get advantages they can only dream of in the advanced world. Advantages such as: free spots or building in a strategic locations, or the "impossible to get" business permit from the sanitary or whatever local authority. You won't get any of that even as an international brand, unless you're associated with e.g. some General's son-in-law.

    In China it's another story, they even prohibit foreign-owned business unless you are: 1) exporting 2) sharing know how. So pretty sure a foreigner can't dream of getting a McDonalds franchise there.

  4. #4
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,348

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    I heard that it's cheaper in my country though still very expensive but I have never looked into it so I don't know the specifics. I do have some friends who tell me stories about their relatives that have setup smaller name franchises like subway and convenience store brands and they are supposedly doing very well.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    McDonald's is definitely one of the more expensive and difficult franchises to get. It seems well worth the investment though - McDonald's says the average franchise makes between $500,000 and $1 million in profits per year on sales of $2.6 million. Even at the low end, that's almost a 20 percent profit margin.

  6. #6
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Portmore, Jamaica
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    I am wondering if it's the expensive franchise cost is the reason why there have never been a McDonald franchise in my country. There are Wendy's, KFC, Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Taco Bell here, and I heard Dunkin's is coming also but no McDonalds. In fact, there was a Burger King store here that had set a world record for sales many year's ago. I am thinking that it may well be the franchise cost that is really restricting the establishment of a McDonald's franchise here.

  7. #7
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    While I've never actually looked into opening a McDonald's restaurant myself, I do know that here in the UK the franchise is expensive and it's quite hard to even get accepted even if you do have the necessary funds. While it may seem that McDonald's are popping up nearly everywhere these days, every franchise will have been vetted to make sure that it is going to enhance the McDonald's reputation, and while it might seem that they are offering a franchise to anybody who applies, that simply isn't the case.

  8. #8
    Diamond Member Corzhens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,618

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    I see that the franchise fee of McDonald's is exorbitant and I agree to that because over here, most of the franchise food stores are in stiff competition with McDonald's as if McDonald's is the standard when it comes to fast food outlets. I have some colleagues who had put up a franchise of a local rice meal outlet that didn't last due to poor performance in market share. It seems that the burgers are still the number 1 food item in the fast food industry. And when talking of burgers, it is McDonald's in the lead.

  9. #9
    Member Plus
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosTL View Post
    Nope you can't do that, things are not as simple as you imagine. You don't just wind up as a foreigner in an 'emerging' economy and open an extremely lucrative franchise such a McDonolad's. The way this is set up in these type of countries is through local companies with exclusivity distribution rights over certain areas.
    I am aware that as a foreign investor you'd have to co-own businesses usually 51-49 51 for them and 49 for you. But, its still the best kind of investment available. Considering that numerous people have made their fortunes in those countries as foreigners, I don't mind if its not simple. Its an idea that just need someone who can execute it.

  10. #10
    Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: The cost of a Mc Donald's franchise

    Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    I see that the franchise fee of McDonald's is exorbitant and I agree to that because over here, most of the franchise food stores are in stiff competition with McDonald's as if McDonald's is the standard when it comes to fast food outlets. I have some colleagues who had put up a franchise of a local rice meal outlet that didn't last due to poor performance in market share. It seems that the burgers are still the number 1 food item in the fast food industry. And when talking of burgers, it is McDonald's in the lead.
    There's no doubt that over here in the UK McDonald's is the number one fast food outlet also, maybe closely followed by KFC. In many towns there have been local cafe's that have had to close down as they simply can't compete with the big chains, but that happens in all sectors of industry. Supermarkets and out of town shopping malls are taking over from the local high street stores, and if we're not careful, sooner or later all we are going to have left are the big franchises and a lot of the local products and businesses will become a thing of the past.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •