Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quality department: Do they have to be the enemy of everybody?

Default Re: Quality department: Do they have to be the enemy of everybody?

I am intrigued by the title. It sounds unaffectionate to those people who are giving us the assurance of quality. Anyway, I have a short experience with the quality control guys of a factory. They seem friendly enough although I had heard that there are some in that department who are snobbish or the bully type. Their function is to check the products to maintain the standards of quality and I saw that they were only doing their job. The reporting system was good not to be antagonistic and they follow a certain chart for the grading. I admit that there are also some misunderstanding at times but it can be settled amicably if the parties have a proper orientation on the issue.

Bronze Member

The importance of quality in the making of items cannot be over emphasized. The quality control department know this and that's why they are very concern, they know the recall and bad reputation their products would suffer if it cannot compete with others in the market in terms of quality. Those in the production line should be made to understand this perfectly.

Diamond Member

While I can see why people may think that they are the enemy to everyone else in the company, at the end of the day without them doing their job to the best of their ability then you may not have a business in the first place. I'm sure that we all would like a job where we can keep everyone happy and not ruffle a few feathers but sometimes, and especially in a position of quality control, it's more important for the job to be done right than what it is to keep people happy.

There's no point in having happy staff, if you don't have any work for them to do because the quality of what you are making and selling isn't up to scratch, and that is exactly what the quality control team is there to do...no matter what!

Bronze Member

In my company the quality department is not our enemy, quite the opposite, as they are responsible for gathering information and assuring high levels of quality. To be honest, I think their job is somewhat abstract and serves "only" to give management the information they need to make their actions.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by to7update View Post
    In my company the quality department is not our enemy, quite the opposite, as they are responsible for gathering information and assuring high levels of quality. To be honest, I think their job is somewhat abstract and serves "only" to give management the information they need to make their actions.
    Same in my company, the quality control staff are not out to 'hunt' workers but to make sure work is properly done. However sometimes they could be very strict especially when it's glaring a job was wrongly finished. They are in the position to make recommendations to management about performance of the workers.

Quality assurance is the core unit of any organization. This department is responsible for the quality of anything produced by that organisation and ultimately the reputation of that organization. They test all the products and are able to pick up any small defect or malfunction before a product is mass produced. Their job and department is so important that if not done properly, it can cost the company billions if any product on the market is recalled due to a quality failure or if the company is sued due to false representation or misleading the public.

Think about the various cars or devices like expensive high end cell phones that has been recalled recently due to one reason or another. Somehow these faults seemed to have missed by the quality assurance team. If their job is not well done or if its not up to the highest quality, the company always suffers a big hit. This is why they seem to be at loggerheads with other departments. There is a lot of pressure on them.