Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Driver License and Truck Registration

Platinum Member

Default Driver License and Truck Registration

Hello everyone!

I would just like to share what my husband just experienced today as he was driving to town this morning. Apparently, a small truck hit his passenger side door as the former was overtaking him on the road. It turns out that the small truck was a company truck and the one driving was a company driver, with the owner's daughter on the passenger's side. After police investigation and settlement between my husband and the owner of the truck, it was found out that the driver didn't even have a renewed driver's license with him. So the authorities had to penalize him for that. So aside from the damages to my husband's car that they have to handle, they also have other penalties to take care of.

Businesses have the responsibility of ensuring that their drivers have valid and current driver's license when they operate their trucks. This also goes the same for the registration of their trucks on a regular basis to avoid penalty.

How often do drivers renew licenses in your area and how often are trucks and vehicles registered in your transportation department?

Default Re: Driver License and Truck Registration

In case the driver has no valid license, the company can also be liable because the vehicle has 2 responsible people which are the driver and the operator (which is actually the owner or the manager of the vehicle). The problem with road accidents is the ignorance of one party especially when the other party would threaten one party to a court case. I would assume that the truck driver would take full responsibility in the repair of the damages to your car. And as for the company, that accident will serve as a neat lesson regarding their drivers. Part of the good performance of a driver is the renewal of his driving license.

3. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

I think the frequency of renewal in our country is excessive and impractical, but if it's being used for work then there is no Che but to follow the rules no matter how wrong it is. I think a big part of the problem is though that even when the drivers have licenses it doesn't necessarily mean that they are the type that know or follow the rules of the road as many of the drivers here are a bit too aggressive and a lot of them do seem like they don't know or don't care much about the basic rules unless they know there are police around.

5. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

The owner of the vehicle and the driver are both equally at fault in a situation like this.The driver will be sanctioned by the authorities for breaching the traffic law and the owner will be liable for any damages because of they error of not monitoring the eligibility of the driver to operate the vehicle. The owner may be exempted from claiming any insurance coverage because he or she had allowed an ineligible person to operate the vehicle.

7. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorerx7 View Post
    The owner of the vehicle and the driver are both equally at fault in a situation like this.The driver will be sanctioned by the authorities for breaching the traffic law and the owner will be liable for any damages because of they error of not monitoring the eligibility of the driver to operate the vehicle. The owner may be exempted from claiming any insurance coverage because he or she had allowed an ineligible person to operate the vehicle.
    Yup I think the disadvantages really are this severe so it's in the best interest of the employer to make sure that their bases are covered with concerns to this topic. The possible repercussions are too great if something goes wrong and in the end it will be the employer suffering most of the damage so it really is their responsibility to regularly check the status of their employees.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

As others have already said, when an accident occurs then both the driver and the company they work for will be looked into, and if there is a problem with the insurance or the license that the driver holds, or even if the truck isn't road worthy, then here in the UK that can lead to huge financial penalties and implications. Even though I am a business owner myself, I do agree that the business will have to hold their hands up and admit to a portion of the blame. At the end of the day the driver is your employee, and while they are out there and on the roads in your vehicle, that are a representative of your business and have to be treated as such in the good times as well as the bad.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

I think that this incident would somehow make the owner of the business become more wary and check on his/her drivers' requirements before allowing them to go on the road. I'm thinking that things have been a bit lax with regards to managing the drivers and trucks in this particular business and it has only been realized now that this incident has happened.

13. Likes pwarbi, Norm liked this post
    Diamond Member

i do think that a few years ago, a lot of businesses did try and get round the system so to speak, and that's one of the reasons that these laws came in, in the first place. Businesses where all too quick to blame the driver for everything when in a lot of cases it was actually their fault for not having the right checks in place. Ina lot of ways, whenever new legislation comes in, you'll find that it's because the companies have brought it on themselves, and while I obviously try and run an all above board business myself, in the past there as been things that I've done that I've known not to be strictly legitimate but knew I could get away with, and any other business owner that say's they haven't is lying to be honest in my opinion.

15. Likes gracer liked this post
    Silver Member

To ensure that all their staff have valid driving licenses at all times, the companies they work for should regularly check their driving licenses. Depending on the size of your fleet, it could be a costly exercise but it's well worth it because in case of anything and the driver is at fault then the company won't be legally obligated to pay for damages and the like.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by gracer View Post
    I think that this incident would somehow make the owner of the business become more wary and check on his/her drivers' requirements before allowing them to go on the road. I'm thinking that things have been a bit lax with regards to managing the drivers and trucks in this particular business and it has only been realized now that this incident has happened.
    I agree. A lot of regulations here are never followed because enforcement of laws is too lax so business owners don't feel much pressure to keep a close eye on things. Nonetheless I do think it is in the best interest of the company to follow these types of protocols anyway since it is such a simple task and the possible liabilities and risks are just too high so regardless of laws I think competent business people should really be more careful and perhaps these types of oversights are just due to people in the company not caring too much about their work.