Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Bans

Platinum Member

Default Truck Bans

Hello everyone!

In the Philippines, there are specific hours when trucks are banned from passing by the busy roads and main thoroughfares of cities, most specifically within our capital city Manila and its other surrounding cities. Due to this, trucks usually have to travel at night time to avoid paying for penalties related to truck bans. Traveling at night is usually dangerous though because of the possibility of the driver becoming sleepy while on the road. I have noticed that most of them already feel tired and sleepy when they are still on the road in the early morning. We have encountered a lot of these drivers on the road before every time we travel early in the morning.

In your country, what are the policies on truck bans? Do you think these bans affect the delivery time of supplies? What are your suggestions when it comes to implementing truck bans?

Default Re: Truck Bans

The truck ban hours of 6am to 10pm is kind of restrictive. But surprisingly, the truck owners and operators did not protest much maybe because they admit the fact that trucks can add to the heavy traffic in the daytime. In fact, at exactly 10 pm when the trucks start moving on the roads, heavy traffic is experienced in main roads so the authorities have designated a lane exclusively for trucks. In main roads here, there is a lane called Truck Lane that is the only lane that big trucks can use. So now warehouse operators are being creative in their business because of that truck ban during the daytime hours.

3. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

I think the truck ban law here is reasonable but only serves as a bandaid and should not be relied on as the main solution. For me the main problem is the lack of proper infrastructure and sufficient road space. What I find even more absurd is having a law that prevents car owners from using their own cars at certain days of the week. I think relying on these types of solutions as a long term plan is kind of medieval.

5. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I think the truck ban law here is reasonable but only serves as a bandaid and should not be relied on as the main solution. For me the main problem is the lack of proper infrastructure and sufficient road space. What I find even more absurd is having a law that prevents car owners from using their own cars at certain days of the week. I think relying on these types of solutions as a long term plan is kind of medieval.
    I definitely agree with you there. While truck bans and other vehicular solutions to traffic are being formulated every now and then, they're absolutely not the answer to the continuously worsening traffic conditions, not only in Metro Manila but also in other cities in the country. We need to improve our roads by widening, paving, and adding more routes for travelers to pass though. This worsening traffic problem has affected a lot of businesses and individuals through the years that a concrete plan needs to be developed to lessen, if not fully eliminate this condition.

Diamond Member

This ban is not now in place in my country. I would support the institution of this ban here at anytime. There are some narrow roads in the rural areas here and these trucks will mostly cause a procession on the roads during the daytime in these areas because it's difficult to pass them when the traffic is frequent in both directions. In the cities there are numerous numbers of long trailers or large trucks on the roads throughout the day and they greatly contribute to the congestion on the roads. I believe that it's possible to schedule the operations of these truck to nighttime or early morning activity where possible, especially those long haul trailers, which would considerably reduce traffic congestion. I must add that what I have proposed is already in ecffect on a small scale because many of those tankers that transport fuel usually leave out to their destination during late night or early morning hours when the go on the long haul.

8. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorerx7 View Post
    This ban is not now in place in my country. I would support the institution of this ban here at anytime. There are some narrow roads in the rural areas here and these trucks will mostly cause a procession on the roads during the daytime in these areas because it's difficult to pass them when the traffic is frequent in both directions. In the cities there are numerous numbers of long trailers or large trucks on the roads throughout the day and they greatly contribute to the congestion on the roads. I believe that it's possible to schedule the operations of these truck to nighttime or early morning activity where possible, especially those long haul trailers, which would considerably reduce traffic congestion. I must add that what I have proposed is already in ecffect on a small scale because many of those tankers that transport fuel usually leave out to their destination during late night or early morning hours when the go on the long haul.
    I see that traffic problem is not just an isolated case in our country. Same is true with fuel tankers here too, they usually travel at night and arrive at their destinations in the early morning. There are times though that some trucks still unavoidably be caught in traffic, especially in the morning when it is considered as a busy hour here. They do slow down the flow of traffic more but all motorists could do is to put up with the traffic until they reach their destinations.

Silver Member

There are some countries where trucks are banned from driving at night. In one story I read, this was supposed to curb the hijacking of trucks. Where truck bans are in effect they shouldn't affect delivery times because the ban should be taken into account when setting/providng the estimated delivery time.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampa View Post
    There are some countries where trucks are banned from driving at night. In one story I read, this was supposed to curb the hijacking of trucks. Where truck bans are in effect they shouldn't affect delivery times because the ban should be taken into account when setting/providng the estimated delivery time.
    That's true. I think that this also brings out the importance of giving realistic expectations for customers when it comes to delivery time. A supplier should take into account the delays that delivery trucks may encounter along the way, especially the regular truck ban schedules. These factors should be opened up to the customers so they will have realistic expectations when it comes to the arrival of their orders.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by gracer View Post
    That's true. I think that this also brings out the importance of giving realistic expectations for customers when it comes to delivery time. A supplier should take into account the delays that delivery trucks may encounter along the way, especially the regular truck ban schedules.
    And I think where customers are familiar with the truck bans they too will probably be more likely to understand that the supplier isn't to blame in case of delays. It can be inconveniencing that much is true but this is why retailers should be good at predicting when they'll be running out of stock so they can order early, so they'll always have what their customers need even if anything be it truck bans or anything else causes deliveries to be delayed.

14. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampa View Post
    And I think where customers are familiar with the truck bans they too will probably be more likely to understand that the supplier isn't to blame in case of delays. It can be inconveniencing that much is true but this is why retailers should be good at predicting when they'll be running out of stock so they can order early, so they'll always have what their customers need even if anything be it truck bans or anything else causes deliveries to be delayed.
    I agree. This is a system we also implement in our small retail business. Before stocks run out, we manage our inventories by ordering from our suppliers in advance so by the time our older stocks are all sold, the new supplies could have already arrived. There are still some instances when unexpected delays happen because of truck maintenance and sudden mishaps on the road. We have learned to adjust to these things by turning to other alternative sources of supplies for the mean time. The prices could be a bit higher from other alternative suppliers though.