Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rating the performance of your subordinate

Default Rating the performance of your subordinate

We have a semi-annual performance rating in our company where the superior has to rate the subordinate in pre-defined areas of concern. The rating is discussed by the rater and the ratee to come up with a consensus that is agreeable to both parties. Usually, our rating system is one factor for the annual merit increase which includes some other factors like attendance and decorum. Rating a subordinate is a difficult task because you have to consider the performance for the past 6 months so how do you evaluate an employee fairly? Often, there would be a revision of the rating as per the suggestion of the subordinate.

Do you have a rating system in your company?

Diamond Member

Default Re: Rating the performance of your subordinate

Well this is certainly something that cause some contention in the workplace, and often has in the places where I have worked. Hopefully, though, there are structures and mechanisms in place where these can be given without much hassle or interruption, because that always helps. It is never good when you disrupt the flow of the workday for things like this, and I think that it just makes matters worse, so the better you can work it into the routine, the better everyone is, in my opinion at least. Hopefully you have good things to say to the employees too, but we all know that is not always the case.

Platinum Member

Before I didn't quite understand the purpose of metrics particularly in an outsourcing setting. They're like shackles that force employees to work at a pace beyond their limits. At present, I feel that metrics are needed to gauge the performance of the people working under you. There's a need to have more humane and realistic metrics, however. One that's more understanding of the limits of an ordinary human being.

Diamond Member

We didn't have this in my previous employment probably because we were a relatively small company but I do think it would be helpful in a big business wherein keeping track of every single employee by the owner wouldn't be as feasible. Having someone you can trust to make the correct evaluations can help in giving you an accurate picture of how well the lower level employees are performing.

Platinum Member

I wouldn't use metric systems unless I determine if the position is a real performance based job. If I had employees that needed to kick out so much product within one hour, I would record that data using some software, and then go over it to see average rates for that position and make judgments based off of that data.

As far as management goes, unless you are able to collect data from several management positions from several locations, it's hard to see who is managing and producing more materials/products because you don't know anything about average numbers unless you can collect that data. So if they get the job done, then I think they would pass any evaluations I have set in place

No rating system is good enough to evaluate the workforce perfectly. Every individual behaves differently and everyone has his own peculiarities. So, to evaluate the performance of each individual with a certain system is not fair and it is also not the right way. hence, it is always better to rate people on their contribution and performance in the work elated field. How much the organisation has benefited from that employee and how he or she has adapted in the given ambiance where he or she is expected to excel. That is what most of the industries do to remain at par.

Bronze Member

Well. Most companies I know have an "employee of the month" to reward perfomance of notable employees. Some of them provide bonus for wages, a prize, extra days off, a raise etc. Is a great way to improve overall workday efficiency and encourages personnel to be more productive during those hourse. A win-win situation, certainly.

I don't do the "employee of the month", I just give raises when deserved. We all work very hard together, when this is noticed about a person, theyll get a raise. I am known to give out a raise once a month for all 30 employees I have.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by arunava2016 View Post
    No rating system is good enough to evaluate the workforce perfectly. Every individual behaves differently and everyone has his own peculiarities. So, to evaluate the performance of each individual with a certain system is not fair and it is also not the right way. hence, it is always better to rate people on their contribution and performance in the work elated field. How much the organisation has benefited from that employee and how he or she has adapted in the given ambiance where he or she is expected to excel. That is what most of the industries do to remain at par.
    Very good point. I do agree as a numerical rating system would not always be accurate in terms of performance and contribution as humans at work sometimes contribute in the most subtle of ways sometimes. I think the best way to go about this is to only consider the numerical value as a supplement to some sort of written essay or commendation.

Diamond Member

I don't have a rating system as such, but what I will as is that my supervisors do a 12 month evaluation on their workers and then that report comes back to me. It's not a way of checking up on them, and when I first introduced the system I had to make that perfectly clear, but it's more of a way of making sure we are all still working towards the same goals, as a lot can change in a year. An employee might be happy at the start but for some reason that may change, so with a 12 monthly evaluation it's more a way of finding out what the employee wants, as well as making them aware what the company want's at the same time.