Thread: Dealing With Customs

Platinum Member

Default Dealing With Customs

Businesses sometimes have to import goods from other countries especially those that are exclusively produced in a specific country or those that can only be bought cheaper if they come from abroad. Aside from taxes and shipping fee, customs fees also have to be handled by an importer once the goods have finally arrived in his/her country. In my country, customs fees can even be pricier than the shipping fee and sometimes if you're unlucky to encounter crooked customs officials, they will give you a hard time claiming your imported goods.

How do you deal with customs in your country? Is it easy to transact with them and do they charge a fair amount for imported goods?

Platinum Member

Default Re: Dealing With Customs

Sometimes customs can be a hassle as you say, I don't know any other way to get around this system. Can you list some other problems that you have with getting your stuff in the country?

If they have a hard time checking your goods, then I'm sure they will be hesitant to let your stuff pass, you can make the process easier by having all the items labeled well, especially in the warehouse that's putting products in the boxes. Those boxes should be labeled well with all the necessary paperwork so when they look at them, they can check the info quite quickly and let it pass. They just want to be able to identify what might be in the packages, but if they lack info about the stuff, then they will be suspicious I would assume, and create a hold.

As far as fees, there is really no way getting around that, I don't think you can get waivers or anything of that nature. You gotta pay like everyone else.

3. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Well thankfully I have never had to deal with this side of the business. There are other people in place to worry about all of that stuff, and so I just let them do their thing. I have always been a little curious, but never enough to really get involved with what they do. I am betting that it is pretty rigorous though and there are a lot of rules and regulations that you need to stay up to speed on. I am certainly glad that they are there to make my job easier though. Thanks for sharing.

5. Likes gracer liked this post
    Bronze Member

A shipping provider or broker handling the import may charge handling fees to clear an import from customs. Examples of these fees are:

-A customs clearance fee, or customs handling fee for processing the import declaration

-An advancement fee for paying the duty and VAT on behalf of the recipient

-An airline handling fee for loading and unloading the goods

-A security fee for screening or x-raying the goods

You can assess the final cost of import goods with any aditional service you have to pay in order to import without qualms. It may depends of country legislation.

7. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gracer View Post
    Businesses sometimes have to import goods from other countries especially those that are exclusively produced in a specific country or those that can only be bought cheaper if they come from abroad. Aside from taxes and shipping fee, customs fees also have to be handled by an importer once the goods have finally arrived in his/her country. In my country, customs fees can even be pricier than the shipping fee and sometimes if you're unlucky to encounter crooked customs officials, they will give you a hard time claiming your imported goods.

How do you deal with customs in your country? Is it easy to transact with them and do they charge a fair amount for imported goods?
    Customs is like a lottery in my country. Sometimes, they would charge you customs, whereas at other points of time, they do not charge you anything. Neither is the rate of taxation here normal.

I normally just assume there would be customs every time I import something. If they don't charge that's a bonus for me.

As for actually dealing with them, the couriers which I use like aramex or DHL normally get it done for me and I just have to pay the charges at my doorstep.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

I have read some horror stories on philippines customs where packages just mysteriously disappear and by that I think the commenters meant that they have already been snatched up by the officials. I've only had to deal with it myself a couple of times and the worst I got was a lot of additional tax on my initially cheap items. I have done more research on this occurrence and many people have said that some of those taxes might be bogus as it sometimes appears or doesn't depending on who is checking your items on that particular time when you pick it up.

11. Likes gracer liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have read some horror stories on philippines customs where packages just mysteriously disappear and by that I think the commenters meant that they have already been snatched up by the officials. I've only had to deal with it myself a couple of times and the worst I got was a lot of additional tax on my initially cheap items. I have done more research on this occurrence and many people have said that some of those taxes might be bogus as it sometimes appears or doesn't depending on who is checking your items on that particular time when you pick it up.
    This is not to smear the customs people here but brokerage companies handling the shipments from abroad are used to the ways of the customs people. The brokers say that if you would go straight (that means no bribery) then you have to endure the long wait before your shipment can be released. Checking a container van takes time and they can create an alibi for the delay of the release because of that. Now our government is thinking of a way to speed up the inspection of the shipment to minimize anomalies.

13. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hades_leae View Post
    Sometimes customs can be a hassle as you say, I don't know any other way to get around this system. Can you list some other problems that you have with getting your stuff in the country?
    Pretty much the same as what Norm and Corzhens mentioned, sometimes there are cases when packages go missing in the hands of the customs office. I think the worst case that was reported about customs here in my country was the totally damaged packages arriving to the recipient. Customs here has been named by our own president as one of the most corrupt agencies of our government so I hope with this attention the agency has gotten from the president, it will finally be cleared from all the bad apples that have been inside it for years.

I somewhat agree to Neural, all processes and clearances are being handled by the shipping company. All documents that is needed for the processes will be provided by the shipping company also. Customs in our country is quite strict so that our country will not be contaminated by illegal goods.

Regards,
    Emelia I.
    BR International Customs Brokerage