Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Dealing With Frequent Absences

Default Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

Quote Originally Posted by kgord View Post
    Unfortunately, it just seems like some people never have their act together, and it shows when they are constantly late or tardy for work. I think having a private conversation with the employee is best, and if resolution can't be found, the employee may have to leave. This is just the way it is for many people.
    In regards to the situation and the case you have mentioned of people not having their act together, a few days suspension without pay will definitely help them understand.

I have faced many executives and managers who would be absent from duty with a short notice even when they already had an assignment allotted to them. It was always difficult to depute another person in place of that particular person since the job was area related and a new person would not know the situation of that particular area. I would tolerate such persons for a few times provided his/her problem was genuine but never if they did it for the sake of enjoying a game or attending a family function without a proper notice well in advance.

As for me, as an employer, the number of times I would allow for unexcused absenteeism will depend on the employees reputation. However there is no doubt that an employer loses more when an employee is absent. Therefore I believe upon recruitment, the employer should make crystal clear, the terms and conditions of employment as regarding to absenteeism. They should also keep a record of an employee's attendance, which could help in decision making, if any necessary disciplinary actions are to be taken.

Besides the attendance, I think the employer should discuss with the employer, upon returning to work to see if they can dig out some information that led to the employee's absenteeism.

If an employee is having a lot of time off, in the past I've had a word with them in my office and asked what the problem is, and if there's anything I can do to help. This as happened on two occasions with two separate employees, and while one of them in the end I had to terminate his contract because it turned out he just didn't want to work, the other one was a totally different story

you should first give him a warning if the absences are frequent

There are several possibilities, if the employee is absent but it catches up with these hours another day it may pass but it must not be done too often and above all it must be a valid reason. If the employee has several unjustified absences, we must first try to understand why and find a solution and if it continues to put a warning and ultimately a dismissal

I agree with you what you have said is a valid point.

I try to be as patient as possible

I believe it depends on lots of factors.

In Brazil, things are more or less pretty clear cut ó we have a specific legislation regarding missing work days. You can take up to 2 days per year to take your children to a doctorís appointment, without having your pay docked or your work contract compromised.

After these 2 days, you can have your payment docked. A single day of missing work wonít have greater repercussions. Two or more days (in a row or not), without the express authorization of the employer will be followed by a formal oral reprimand. After this reprimand, if the behavior continues and the employer doesnít authorize it, you will receive a formal warning, by writing. After that, you can be fired.

Most employers in Brazil are quite flexible and will accommodate the employee, particularly if said employee works hard and takes overtime on other days to compensate for the missing work. But when people abuse the system, they are fired.

One thing the employer of a small firm could try is to have a home-office agreement. If that is possible, the employee with the sick children can work from home so the work is done and no one is harmed in the process.

Often itís easier to accommodate a good employee than to train a new one, so think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by qpeny View Post
    I believe it depends on lots of factors.

In Brazil, things are more or less pretty clear cut — we have a specific legislation regarding missing work days. You can take up to 2 days per year to take your children to a doctor’s appointment, without having your pay docked or your work contract compromised.

After these 2 days, you can have your payment docked. A single day of missing work won’t have greater repercussions. Two or more days (in a row or not), without the express authorization of the employer will be followed by a formal oral reprimand. After this reprimand, if the behavior continues and the employer doesn’t authorize it, you will receive a formal warning, by writing. After that, you can be fired.

Most employers in Brazil are quite flexible and will accommodate the employee, particularly if said employee works hard and takes overtime on other days to compensate for the missing work. But when people abuse the system, they are fired.

One thing the employer of a small firm could try is to have a home-office agreement. If that is possible, the employee with the sick children can work from home so the work is done and no one is harmed in the process.

Often it’s easier to accommodate a good employee than to train a new one, so think about that.
    As many others said as well, the first step is to have a clear system like you described here. Another point is communication. I think it's much more understandable when employees explain why they had to leave or ask before they do. That's also the reason why some employer might be more flexible. All situations need to be checked individually, but clear rules, whcih evrybody knows from the start are a great help on both sides.