Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Frequent Absences

Diamond Member

Default Re: Dealing With Frequent Absences

Giving an incentive to employees that don't take any time off absent is quite common,but to actually punish them for doing so is going a bit too far in my opinion. As I said before, part of being a good employer is to recognise your good employees from the poor ones, and if an employee is taking a lot of time off then instead of punishing them in some way I'd rather have a sit down with them and find out what the reason is. Obviously if they haven't got a legitimate reason then the disciplinary procedure will then kick in, but to just automatically punish them without question is a bit too harsh and here in the UK i'm not even sure if that's even legal.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    It looks like you are one strict manager (or owner?). Sometimes it is better to be very strict than lax because the employees tend to abuse your kindness. When we had our computer supplies retailing business, one employee would take the half day off once in a while for her personal affairs - we didn't know that she would on dating a suitor. And even if we do not give vacation leave, absences with permission is not deducted from the salary. And in fairness to us, we sometimes declare a holiday for the employees to get a full rest of 1 week. We time it when business is slow and we inform our clients of such a one week holiday.
    We have also experienced those kinds of employees who took advantage of our kindness to them. There was this particular employee whom we have given many chances for reformation but she never did. Every time we decide to let her go, she would always beg for us to give her a chance and we always do. But after some time she would go on committing absences without permission again. Her frequent unannounced absences has been greatly affecting us and our business because we had to be the ones to make the necessary adjustments on an impromptu basis. We have finally been so full of her excuses and decided to let her go for good. Now we have a really good employee who has taken over her position.

Diamond Member

I would only tolerate one or two instances that have good reason behind it but further than that I'd have to stop giving consideration just to be fair to the other employees. The only exception I'd accept is if that employee brings in exponentially more profits to my business than all of the other employees which would therefore give me justification on why I would allow such special treatment, but otherwise if the results they put in are equal to the others then I would expect the effort to be the same with others as well.

4. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    It looks like you are one strict manager (or owner?). Sometimes it is better to be very strict than lax because the employees tend to abuse your kindness. When we had our computer supplies retailing business, one employee would take the half day off once in a while for her personal affairs - we didn't know that she would on dating a suitor. And even if we do not give vacation leave, absences with permission is not deducted from the salary. And in fairness to us, we sometimes declare a holiday for the employees to get a full rest of 1 week. We time it when business is slow and we inform our clients of such a one week holiday.

Yes you can call me a strict owner. I find that if I am lax, sooner then later employees start taking holidays just for the sake of it.

Also, I follow what I preach. I also do not take a holiday from my work. I am in office on sundays as well. 7 days a week and 12 hours a day(9 to 9), so they know that work load is there and therefore, holiday isn't a good idea and they also understand that this is why I am so strict.

Diamond Member

It might just be me, but aren't we going a bit off topic here? Absence from work due to sickness like we was talking about is entirely different to people taking annual leave though, so need to be treated as entirely separate things. It's one thing punishing people for taking to much time off for being sick, and even though I don't agree with it I can see why some business owners would do that, but to punish people for taking holidays that they are actually entitled to? Surely that's going too far in most peoples eyes?

i myself am in the office everyday of the week at some point to catch upon work and to get things done, but I wouldn't expect my employees to do the same. This is my business and so I'm going to be more dedicated to it as I know that the more work I get done, the better financially off I will be. For my employees who are getting a salary for doing their specific jobs, I wouldn't expect them to be as passionate as I am, and if they are entitled to an holiday then the last thing I am going to do is punish them for taking it, or make them feel guilty in anyway.

Member Plus

From the perspective of an employee, they may have never learned to have a serious work ethic and they may truly have issues, perhaps medical, emotional, or family related. No doubt they have their reasons for being late or absent. But from the perspective of the employer, they need their employee to be there, regularly and on time. I'm sure this situation causes lots of employees to lose their jobs. And they may have to go through several jobs before they learn to make regular and timely attendance a serious priority in their work life. And again, they may never learn!

Quote Originally Posted by cluckeyo View Post
    From the perspective of an employee, they may have never learned to have a serious work ethic and they may truly have issues, perhaps medical, emotional, or family related. No doubt they have their reasons for being late or absent. But from the perspective of the employer, they need their employee to be there, regularly and on time. I'm sure this situation causes lots of employees to lose their jobs. And they may have to go through several jobs before they learn to make regular and timely attendance a serious priority in their work life. And again, they may never learn!
    Of course they would always have a reason for their tardiness or absences. I have this guinea pig of sorts, a co-employee who lives near our village. I have interviewed him why he comes in late most of the time and his reason is the traffic. He is one in the ranks and he knows that I am in the managerial level. When I told him that I leave home by 5am, he was greatly surprised because we have the same official start of work at 8am. When he asked why I leave so early, I retorted - so that I would not have a reason when I come in late for work. He was speechless because my reply was full of sarcasm. Nevertheless, he still had his habit of coming in late with the traffic as his usual reason.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post

i myself am in the office everyday of the week at some point to catch upon work and to get things done, but I wouldn't expect my employees to do the same. This is my business and so I'm going to be more dedicated to it as I know that the more work I get done, the better financially off I will be. For my employees who are getting a salary for doing their specific jobs, I wouldn't expect them to be as passionate as I am, and if they are entitled to an holiday then the last thing I am going to do is punish them for taking it, or make them feel guilty in anyway.
    This is exactly how my husband thinks when it comes to being an employer. We cannot expect our employees to have the same amount of passion like we have when it comes to our business. An owner will always have the most passion in his work because his/her business is a very precious thing for him/her. After all, a business will not succeed if the owner him/herself doesn't have the dedication and perseverance to run it.

Diamond Member

Looks like me and your husband @gracer have the same sort of mentality when it comes to business then, and I'm sure I speak for him as well when I say I'm glad we're not the only ones that think this way. For an employee, the main reason that they work for you is for the salary, and while they might appreciate the respect that you give them as well, what they don't want you to do as an employer is put them under so much pressure that they feel that they have to do more than hat they are paid for, and make them think that without them that company would fail.

That pressure should be on you as the owners shoulders and nobody else's.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    Looks like me and your husband @gracer have the same sort of mentality when it comes to business then, and I'm sure I speak for him as well when I say I'm glad we're not the only ones that think this way. For an employee, the main reason that they work for you is for the salary, and while they might appreciate the respect that you give them as well, what they don't want you to do as an employer is put them under so much pressure that they feel that they have to do more than hat they are paid for, and make them think that without them that company would fail.

That pressure should be on you as the owners shoulders and nobody else's.
    I think you both have the same mentality pwarbi. When I saw your previous post, it felt like I was actually reading it from my husband himself. Lol! But seriously speaking, I must admit that I didn't understand his mentality at first because I was more of a stiff and stricter person than him. At first I also had the mentality that our employees should work as hard as we did because they were being paid to do so. But learning my husband's way taught me how to be more understandable of the needs of our employees. It did help in a great way because I no longer get stressed in expecting more from our employees but instead I expect more on our part as owners because we all will benefit in the end.