Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of Education and Training

Platinum Member

Default Re: Lack of Education and Training

Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    I think that in a lot of industries it's not what you know but who you know that is the main reason that people will get hired into certain job roles. That obviously isn't right but I think it's been going on for that long no that it's going to be hard to put a stop to. Even here in the UK it goes right up to government level and the last thing David Cameron did before he resigned was pick some of his friends and family to be Lords and even though that in itself as attracted a lot of criticism, it's kind of just been accepted and so now we have his hairdresser and window cleaner in roles of power that they are certainly not qualified to do but that just appears to be the way of the world these days unfortunately.
    This is really an eye opener to me. I never knew it also happens in a rich country like the UK. Thank you for enlightening me about it. I now realized that these kinds of things are a thing of the world which is not easy to eliminate. It's just really so unfair on the part of people who have worked hard to be qualified but in the end would end up being overtaken by the ones who have the connections. I am now beginning to wonder if this will ever have a solution or if this is something that people will just have to accept.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by cluckeyo View Post
    You have to be qualified to do the work, or you won't last long in that job. Education is very important and directs workers towards the appropriate field. One where they can excel. A company is going to want someone who can step right in there and start doing good things. And if you want to have a decent wage, it would pay off to make education a priority so that you can be trained into a field that would end up paying better.
    Being educated to a certain standard and having certificates doesn't necessarily mean that a person will be able to step right into a job role and excel though, and sometimes it means exactly the opposite. Sometimes a person can actually know too much and what they have learned at college or university might be the textbook way of doing things, in the real world it doesn't always work and if they aren't willing to change and adapt, sometimes even forget about what they have learned and do something differently, they aren't going to fit into a role that on paper it looks like they are made for.

3. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason76 View Post
    At times, especially when workers are in short suppy, a company might decide to do on the job training. In that case, the only thing holding a person back might be some disability or criminal record. Nonetheless, it's always a safe bet to obtain training and education before seeking a job other than a lower level restuarant job.
    I think this can actually turn into a great situation for some people sometimes as opportunities arise from both the sides of the employers and potential employees because they both get to discover new paths that they previously might have just ignored. I have read and heard of some stories of people stumbling upon their calling in life this way because they were forced by circumstance to pick up new training for a new job that they never thought they would ever try.

5. Likes gracer liked this post

The lack of education and training is a big deal and should not be dealt with lightly. For instance, If you are driving a forklift, and you do not have a liscense to do so, DO NOT DRIVE IT! You are taking a risk yourself and for the company you are working for. In use this because people at my job just for fired for this. Makes no sense.

7. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley0323 View Post
    The lack of education and training is a big deal and should not be dealt with lightly. For instance, If you are driving a forklift, and you do not have a liscense to do so, DO NOT DRIVE IT! You are taking a risk yourself and for the company you are working for. In use this because people at my job just for fired for this. Makes no sense.
    In the context of driving the fork lift truck like you touched on, then obviously training in that sense is important, but here in the UK especially, if an employer is looking for a new employee that is going to have to drive a fork lift, then you would never take the risk of hiring a person without the necessary licence, so in that respect you are right and training is an issue that you will look at first. T the same time though, I always like to try and promote from within, and if I need a fork lift truck driver then I will look at the employees I already have, and if I want to give the job to a person who I think is fit, if they don't have a licence I will pay for them to take it.

Having the right employees for the right job roles in your organisation is important, but that doesn't meant that you have find employees to work for you that are already qualified, and you can always promote from within no matter what the standard of the education is and I still stand by what I said that education and training isn't the be all and end all.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

I have always wondered about things like this. I bet that if you really investigate a lot of the companies around, many of the people at the top do not have the qualifications that they tout. It makes sense to a certain degree, because people do different jobs, but sometimes it is unnerving to think about. If I go though a get my education or certification, it would be hard to work under someone who does not have the same educational acumen. Thanks for sharing.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Site Owner & Gold Sponsor Rob O'Byrne's Avatar

Certainly my experience is, that without the right qualifications and experience you won't even make it to the interview... After that, personality, attitude and other factors come into play...

13. Likes gracer liked this post

This is a huge problem where I am from and with local factories/warehouses. All the companies seem to require experience in the field, this creates a conundrum of people wanting to work but not meeting the requirements and not having the ability to get the experience. There may be some places that offer training but not everyone is financially able to send themselves to a trade school. In my opinion hiring people who may not have the experience but interview well and show the ability to learn is a great investment. This is what we do where I work, however it is a smaller operation, this is a risk big companies might not take.

15. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ad.mike2016 View Post
    In my opinion hiring people who may not have the experience but interview well and show the ability to learn is a great investment. This is what we do where I work, however it is a smaller operation, this is a risk big companies might not take.
    This is also something I would also consider in hiring potential employees. While a CV would show that an applicant is lacking of requirements, if he/she shows otherwise in an interview, it would be a sign for me that he/she could be very well deserving of a position in my company. An interview could be a good determining factor on whether an applicant deserves a chance. For me, if he/she shows a whole lot of enthusiasm and willingness to be trained in the process, it would be a good sign for me to hire him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by rz3300 View Post
    I have always wondered about things like this. I bet that if you really investigate a lot of the companies around, many of the people at the top do not have the qualifications that they tout. It makes sense to a certain degree, because people do different jobs, but sometimes it is unnerving to think about. If I go though a get my education or certification, it would be hard to work under someone who does not have the same educational acumen. Thanks for sharing.
    I had an experience with an executive in my first permanent job who do not know the ins and outs of the job. He has a master's degree that put him in the position but when it comes to the real work, he is always groping. And the people under him, particularly the manager who knows the function of the department from A to Z, would make him appear stupid at times for the executive's ignorance would show. I can't remember if that executive was just having his training but it looked to me that he was hired permanently to handle the division (a group comprised of several departments). From the last I heard, that executive had transferred to another company.

18. Likes gracer liked this post