Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of Education and Training

Diamond Member

Default Re: Lack of Education and Training

To a certain extent, here in the UK the lack of university educated employees available is down to the government as they have made it that expensive now that a lot of people, and certainly those that come from lower and middle class families simply can't afford to go. All that is done is made the universities full of upper class idiots in my opinion that are never going to use that degree in the first place as they have already got a job at mummy and daddies business as a director anyway.

The only reason they have gone to university is because they can afford it, and to keep up the family name as all their ancestors will have graduated from Oxford or Cambridge as well. As you can tell I have no time for this kind of person whatsoever, and after having a few of these people apply for vacancies in my business I can tell you from experience that they are no better than anybody else, and in most cases their degree just hides a work shy mentality that they think they can get away with simply because they have that degree.

Education of an employee is important, but not as important as on the job training developed by you and the company. That to me is more important than getting a person that as spent 10 years in education, come out with a degree but not one bit of common sense.

2. Likes gracer liked this post

At times, especially when workers are in short suppy, a company might decide to do on the job training. In that case, the only thing holding a person back might be some disability or criminal record. Nonetheless, it's always a safe bet to obtain training and education before seeking a job other than a lower level restuarant job.

4. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

I agree to what most of you have said about the skills an applicant could learn through training being far more important than the education he/she has accomplished. Of course, we cannot detest the fact that education is also a fundamental part of one's potential for being hired but I for one am not looking at someone's degree or school graduated from to determine whether an applicant is fit for a job. If an applicant is willing to be trained and shows good absorption of the things taught to him/her during training and skills demonstration, I would be more than willing to hire him/her whether he/she is a degree earner or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason76 View Post
    At times, especially when workers are in short suppy, a company might decide to do on the job training. In that case, the only thing holding a person back might be some disability or criminal record. Nonetheless, it's always a safe bet to obtain training and education before seeking a job other than a lower level restuarant job.
    That situation usually happens in factories here. Particularly the small factories like printing press and garments maker, they are willing to hire trainees or apprentice which they pay with low wages in the guise of training. Usually the training lasts for more than 3 months or sometimes longer. The worker is shortchanged because factory work is easy to learn and a week of training is more than enough. As I said, that trainee status is being used to justify the low salary paid to the worker. But the worker cannot complain because it is clear in the contract that the factory can terminate his services at any time.

7. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

In our country, only basic level of education is needed, like finishing high school and as long as workers are able to finish that level of education, they would be able to get the job.

Also, due to the union culture in my country, it is very difficult to layoff the workers as then the union would create the problems and hence the filtering of the workers before hiring is very stringent since later on firing them is actually very difficult.

Also, manual workers are in short supply currently in my country and that is another reason why companies, aren't removing them.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

A lot is also going to depend on what the job market is like in your country as well of course. If there is an abundance of people that you can employ then as a business owner you can afford to be a bit more picky with who you decide to employ, but if you are advertising for a position that requires particular skills then your choice of candidates is going to be limited.

Just a quick note about the unions as well, and here in the UK I think that they can do more harm than good in a lot of cases and while I understand that they are there to protect the workers, at the same time sometimes they are protecting the workers and fighting the business owners when in actual fact the business owner is in the right and actually hasn't done anything wrong. Workers tend to think that when they have got a job they can't be got rid of no matter what because the union will be on their side, but that isn't always the case.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

In Serbia, the land of plenty, we have two types of jobs. public sector jobs and private. For the first one you don't need to be qualified or trained. You will learn that in the process. What is crucial for this type of job is you knowing somebody or you giving bribe to somebody. If you have some 5000 Euros and somebody to take that money and give you a job you're going to be just fine. The second group is more less the same. You have to know somebody to find a job but in this group, unlike the first, you are a slave of the boss. This is basically the model of how my country was destroyed by shallow and small minded people. The first group gets money directly from the state. It is funded by the tax payers since our factories are basically dead. Those are education, health, police, military and similar. For them to have pay checks factories need to make money but that does not happen. Still they have their pay checks and they are vastly over employed.

13. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

@djordjem87 That kind of thing also happens here in my country, especially in government institutions. What's sad is that people seem to have just accepted the fact that if you don't have any connections in the government, then you won't get hired no matter how high your qualifications are. This also happens even with professionals.

I remember when I was still a new graduate, I have just finished a 6 month unpaid training in a public institution and the next step would be for trainees to apply for job positions in the institution. There were a lot of us who underwent the training, took the required exams and passed, accomplished the initial interview, and hoped that we would get accepted for the vacant positions. The next thing my co-trainees found out was that the list of trainees who were accepted were already predetermined according to who their connections in the institution was. It was really such an upsetting experience.

Diamond Member

I think that in a lot of industries it's not what you know but who you know that is the main reason that people will get hired into certain job roles. That obviously isn't right but I think it's been going on for that long no that it's going to be hard to put a stop to. Even here in the UK it goes right up to government level and the last thing David Cameron did before he resigned was pick some of his friends and family to be Lords and even though that in itself as attracted a lot of criticism, it's kind of just been accepted and so now we have his hairdresser and window cleaner in roles of power that they are certainly not qualified to do but that just appears to be the way of the world these days unfortunately.

16. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

You have to be qualified to do the work, or you won't last long in that job. Education is very important and directs workers towards the appropriate field. One where they can excel. A company is going to want someone who can step right in there and start doing good things. And if you want to have a decent wage, it would pay off to make education a priority so that you can be trained into a field that would end up paying better.

18. Likes gracer liked this post