Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of Education and Training

Platinum Member

Default Lack of Education and Training

Just yesterday, I have learned from my local news that one of the factors leaving a lot of workers and job applicants jobless in my country is their lack of education and training. Most employers, especially foreign companies would look for someone who has the educational qualifications and enough training pertaining to his/her specific areas of work. The problem is that most applicants lack these qualifications so they end up being rejected from the job they're applying for.

In your area/country, how important is education and training for employers to consider an applicant as eligible for their job openings? Do you think these are the most important factors in looking for an employee?

Default Re: Lack of Education and Training

If a person is not qualified for a job, then they shouldn't be hired. I pay someone to do a job. I won't be hiring someone in hopes that they do come around. A business is operational because it has to make money. Having qualified and competent employees are vital for company survival.

If a person isn't qualified, then they should try to get an education of at least some kind of apprenticeship program to learn the basics. Get to know your potential employer and see if they do have a on the job training program. You might not get paid to do this, but at least you can get a foot in the door, as opposed to going to school and having to pay for that.

3. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

It is the same thing here, and it is really amazing when you consider that fact and then look at enrollment numbers at local universities. It seems that everyone is going to college these days, but yet still we have a lack of education. I think that it just goes to show you the switch, and that change that has happened over the past few decades. A college degree is no longer that desirable, which is unfortunate for myself and millions of others. That is just the way it is, though, and the better we are at adapting the better off we are.

5. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Something I've noticed with these companies that are looking for people with specific qualifications like a degree, are not even paying up. I met a supervisor with a degree, and they didn't want to pay her anymore than $36,000.

There was another supervisor who I was pretty close to, she was a lead when I met her but she had a bachelors degree. She got promoted to supervisor over a department after 2 years of work, and they was only paying her a salary that was the equivalent of $16 dollars an hour, plus we worked over time a lot. I was able to make more money than her and I was a forklift operator working a lot of over time.

7. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

It's the same thing in my country. Most companies are looking for someone who have a good educational attainment, preferably a college graduate. I really can't blame companies for this, they're after the betterment of their company after all. Personally, i wouldn't apply for a job where i don't meet the qualifications.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hades_leae View Post
    Something I've noticed with these companies that are looking for people with specific qualifications like a degree, are not even paying up. I met a supervisor with a degree, and they didn't want to pay her anymore than $36,000.

There was another supervisor who I was pretty close to, she was a lead when I met her but she had a bachelors degree. She got promoted to supervisor over a department after 2 years of work, and they was only paying her a salary that was the equivalent of $16 dollars an hour, plus we worked over time a lot. I was able to make more money than her and I was a forklift operator working a lot of over time.
    That's the thing, they do look for someone who meets their educational qualification but they don't do their part to compensate the person properly for what he/she is worth. I find it a bit unfair on the part of an employee but then again, employees are left with no other choice but to accept their situation instead of losing their work and finding it hard to look for a replacement.

Then again, there's also the factor of lacking skills even if one is said to have an educational degree. I remember one of my college batch mate who was at the top of our class up until we graduated. She was exemplary in academic terms but when the time came for us to work, she lacked the actual skills in performing her duties well. She was good when it came to theories and stuff but she was poor when it came to actual field work.

Diamond Member

I think the training that the company has to provide each new employee should only be minor and the bulk of it should already be known by the potential employee. Otherwise the company would be gambling too much on whether or not the potential employee will eventually learn or not and if he or she doesn't then that would just be resource wasted each time, and if you factor in that they have to probably do this multiple times over the course of the year then it is obvious that it just isn't practical.

12. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Education and training often get listed together even though in my experience they can be two totally different things. Personally I don't put a lot of emphasis on education when a person applies for a job and I will go more off how they work when they come for a trial at the company. There are many people around the world who are educated to a higher degree standard but can barely tie their own shoe laces in the real world, so degree or not...if they do ell at an interview, do well in a trial and then are able to grasp the training that they have to undertake, then they are good enough for me no matter what documents they have.

14. Likes gracer liked this post
    Bronze Member

I have found STEM (specially programming and computer science) job offers with insanely high requirements, my guess is that they are trying to disguise their insecurities, since I seriously doubt that most of the people in charge of these companies have that degree of qualifications either.

16. Likes gracer liked this post

That lack of education of applicants may not be the fault of the government. It may lie in the education from the particular schools. I have seen how some schools conduct their training and education particularly in courses that are not specialized like a management course where they teach only theories and nothing more. But in fairness to those applicants, they are rejected in their own country but they are mostly hired by foreign companies hence there are countless of overseas workers now. That means their poor educational background can be complemented by actual training in the workplace which is mostly provided by foreign companies.

18. Likes gracer, ptahm22 liked this post