Thread: How to report favoritism

Platinum Member

Default How to report favoritism

Sometimes you and your team mates know that favoritism is in the air, but you don't want to tell in fear of being retaliated against. How do you go above your bosses head with out getting in trouble?

If you and a few other co-workers feel the same, wouldn't it be best to go together and report what the team is feeling?

Default Re: How to report favoritism

It really depends on how the company is structured. Some bigger corporations have a open door policy where any employee can walk in and speak their mind. If you are working in a mom and pop shop, then there is not much you can do. You will get let go if you did speak up.

I have dealt with this before and in my old company, I took notes and documented everything. If there was a situation where you witnessed favoritism first hand, then write it down and try to get a piece of evidence. Take a photo or something of that nature. That way if someone else goes through the same situation, you have a point of reference. Take that to human resources to back up your claims.

Member Plus

This can be a sticky problem because sometimes you don't know whose side certain people are on. Sometimes coworkers would come to your defense, other times they would put their heads in the sand and pretend they don't even know you. Going over your boss' head can be a problem in multiple ways: maybe your boss' boss will actually side with the person you were trying to report. Or maybe they will reprimand the person in question, but then your boss will get back at you privately later on.

Unfortunately, even with an 'open door policy,' rules are not always followed. I have seen countless times, and heard from friends, that the human resources department in many companies would rather ignore a situation than deal with it. No one wants to be the bad guy.

I wish that there was an easy answer.

4. Likes hades_leae liked this post

There was a time that I was being accused of favoritism. The organization of our unit has the manager and assistant manager and then 3 supervisors. During that time, I was the manager and the assistant manager position was vacant. So there was stiff competition among the 3 supervisors who are pretenders to the vacancy. One of the supervisors was very diligent with his job and he performs very well unlike the other 2 who are sometimes late or absent. Naturally the best guy earned my respect unlike the other 2 who were not trying their best. But I was sure that there was no favoritism. Anyway, that good supervisor eventually was promoted to assistant position under me. Now he was assigned to the province and had since moved to another department.

Diamond Member

I think since this is one of the things that may be a little obvious it would be difficult to approach so if it were me I'd just try and gather up as much evidence as I can so when I bring it up I can be confident about my claims. I don't think I would speak out with anything less than ample documented evidence, personally, and without it I'd probably just change jobs or something if it's really that intolerable.

You need to have proof if you ever want to report favoritism, and that's kind of hard to get. If I were in a situation like this I'd start voice recording the situations in which favoritism is present and use them as proof, but I would be vary to report to my boss if he was fond of the team leader that is being unreasonable. In situations like this it's pretty risky to go alone.

It really is all about documentation. If you don't have some proof of the claims you are making, it's really just one persons word against another's. And that can mean loss of employment. They are going to eliminate any troublemakers before you actually get enough proof. So just bide your time. Have patience and keep your eyes and ears open.

The only other thing that comes close to documentation is witnesses. If you can find enough people who are willing to stand beside you and substantiate your claims, you might have a chance in a court or at a hearing. Because once you make those kinds of claims, that's what it's going to come to.

In a perfect world, everyone would treat each other with fairness and kindness. But that's not the world we live in yet. So sometimes, you're just going to have to bite your tongue and wait for your chance to get justice.

Platinum Member

That is what happened to me when the time came for us workers to report what we noticed going on during our shift. We had a new hire who had been there for 2 weeks, and our lead decided to make him lead over us not even having the authority to do that. We found out when he started coming around trying to boss us around, but he had the same title as us. He was an asshole to.

Our official lead never said anything to us about it, they were like best friends. On the day we agreed to go report it to the supervisor, everyone bailed out talking about how they are not about to lose their jobs, but they just didn't want t be bosses around by someone who just got hired to do the same job as us. I told the big boss, and our lead got me fired when our boss went on vacation.

Member Plus

I don't see this happening without backfiring to you. Maybe it depends on the structure as someone said but I really don't see it, I don't know how could it matter. If somebody is a favourite there is a reason for that. The reason usually if not always means they have somebody on their side. My logic here is simple, if you want to report you would have to have somebody equally strong on your side or even stronger and if you have that you would be a favourite so it is pointless one way or another.

Diamond Member

Well I am willing to bet that the thoughts of backfiring like @djordjem87 mentioned is probably what keeps most of these cases at bay and never reported, but I think that you have to have faith that it will work out in the end. Of course, you must be smart with each circumstance because in certain cases there is probably favoritism for a reason and it is not necessarily unfair or illegal, but I would say that those are more rare than the cases where it is unfair. I would like to think that these things get figured out and dealt with, but that might be giving too much credit to people out there.