Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

Bronze Member

Default Re: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

A supplier should be trusted to always make available goods that meet the expected quality and standards. I prefer to deal with suppliers who go the extra mile to get products with prices that aren't going to be too expensive for the customers, the supplier should be a person that is timely in making products available. It's a known fact that customers want to get served as fast as possible. I'd go suppliers that can deliver my goods in good time.

For me, a standout amongst the most vital things is the means by which open and mindful they are. On the off chance that they can answer inquiries before I notwithstanding bring them up then it's a decent sign that they have as of now heaps of experience a dave managed numerous different customers to know enough to be forthright of potential issues and to give me choices and safety efforts on the most proficient method to battle them. On that note I'd say another good thing to pay special mind to is genuineness.

As a supplier to some of the worlds largest and most recognizable brands, i can share some valuable insight to this question. We supply a lot of the material handling goods that these companies use to hold their parts, supplies, inventory, and in some cases, our customers even use our products to ship to their end users. For these companies to continue running as efficiently as possible, they need to ensure that they are dealing with suppliers that can deliver what they promise. Often times, the companies have annual reviews of their suppliers to check for the following:

- What is best price
    - Are items always kept in stock
    - Were order confirmations sent
    - Were orders delivered on time
    - Were items received in good condition
    - Were packing slips and invoices received on time
    - How did the vendor handle any issues such as shortage or damage

If you are looking to become a supplier for some large companies, be prepared to deal with the questions above on an annual or semi-annual basis and if you provide the right answers, and then follow through and deliver on your promises, you can expect a long term relationship that will be mutually beneficial.

What I would look for in a supplier are:
    1. The ability to sustain good quality supply.
    2. Relatively price competitive to the market trend. I do not say the cheapest, as cheap does not always come with sustainability of quality.
    3. Innovative ability - the supplier must be able to give you innovative solutions to your problems, in order for you to stay ahead of the game. This is relatively difficult to come by from a supplier.
    4. The supplier must be demanding as well, as this characterises the expectation of the supplier. The supplier would likely have a similar approach to his /her performance as well.
    5. The business that you offer to the supplier must be able to help the supplier grow its business, this entices the supplier to deliver performance to your business.

For my global friends, does the likelihood of supplier production or shipping disruption factor into the equation? If so, how?

There are a lot of factors that come in when deciding which supplier to choose for your business, as for myself they need to be honest, forward thinking and have integrity.

I look for many qualities when choosing a seller/supplier that I want to do business with. this is because selecting a good supplier can bring better deals and a nice relationship between you both while you guys are doing business. The qualities I look for in a supplier while choosing are:

1) Buyers' reviews: I always want to see what other buyers are saying about him and how good the business they had with the supplier had been. If at a point, I noticed that the supplier had bad reviews than good ones, then I think I will have to look elsewhere for a better choice.

2) Consistency: I am that type of buyer that in most cases want my supplier to do home service for me considering the fact that I might be busy at a particular point in time with regards to the type of work I do. So, if a particular supplier does not keep to time and arrangements we agree on, then I don't think I will be comfortable to continue doing business with such suppliers since it will amount to regrets and pain on my part.

I think these two are the major factors I consider in a supplier before I begin looking at other things such as the pricing, discounts and the rest other things that I might consider necessary before selecting a supplier for business purposes.

Diamond Member

It does always seem to bring things under a whole new light when you start to think about international concerns @Dermott.Ryan . It really makes the availability much more of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by HC Chew View Post
    What I would look for in a supplier are:
    1. The ability to sustain good quality supply.
    2. Relatively price competitive to the market trend. I do not say the cheapest, as cheap does not always come with sustainability of quality.
    3. Innovative ability - the supplier must be able to give you innovative solutions to your problems, in order for you to stay ahead of the game. This is relatively difficult to come by from a supplier.
    4. The supplier must be demanding as well, as this characterises the expectation of the supplier. The supplier would likely have a similar approach to his /her performance as well.
    5. The business that you offer to the supplier must be able to help the supplier grow its business, this entices the supplier to deliver performance to your business.
    I agree with you, everything you have stated has to be analyzed and paid attention to when choosing a supplier since it will determine the success of your business.

Quality of the product comes first. And then the consistency of the supplies. That matters the most. You can see that the supplier with the bad shipping does not get much business. And in this case he has to innovate. And he has to grow his business. So he should be paying attention to the shipping options available. As you can see that supplier requires manufacturers contacts too. So better manufacturer in contact will also help in getting more leads. That's something every supplier needs to look for in business.