Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

Member Plus

Default Re: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

I'm looking for a reliable supplier and the one who focuses and satisfies the needs of their clients in terms of a business. Price, quality of service and availability are a few of the best factors to consider also.

For me one of the most important things is how communicative and attentive they are. If they are able to answer questions before I even bring them up then it's a good sign that they have already lots of experience a dave dealt with many other clients to know enough to be upfront of potential problems and to give me options and security measures on how to combat them. On that note I'd say another good thing to look out for is honesty.

For my business, it’s very important that the supplier has sound processes and is transparent. I integrate them with my business by using this software - http://www.keysoftwaresystems.com/xcelerator.html, which gives my team real time data. This is critical, since the timeliness and quality of supplies impact the customer experience.

I'm looking forward to a supplier who provides quality products and services.

Well an important input to the supplier selection process are the guidelines for the types of suppliers you want. These guidelines are impacted by your Sourcing Strategy. The key factors you should keep in mind while choosing suppliers are :
    1. Price-cheap does not always represent the best value for money. If the quality of your supplier's product or service is poor, you may incur extra costs for returns and replacements, and risk losing business with any delays that result. If you decide to pass poor quality on to your customers, you risk damaging your business reputation.
    2. Reliability- Reliable suppliers deliver the right goods or services on time.
    3. Sustainability- Stability is important, especially if you are entering into a long-term contract with a supplier or they are the only supplier of a particular item you need for your business.
    4. Location- Dealing with distant suppliers might mean longer delivery times and extra freight costs. If you need something quickly, a local supplier might be a better option. But be sure to investigate freight policies of distant suppliers. Bulk orders, for instance, might get you free shipping or you might be able to combine different orders to reduce costs.

In order be able to evaluate the credibility and quality of a supplier, I attempt to understand my needs vs the suppliers capability. I would think that it's necessary to invest some time to understand the functional requirements that we require the product to deliver and go hunt for a supplier which can deliver a product that fits the purpose. With multiple discussions with various suppliers, we would have been able to assess the capability of multiple suppliers by focusing on the key requirements of what fits our purpose. Thereafter, the selection of a suitable supplier becomes a textbook affair.
    In my opinion, the first priority is to assess the capability of the supplier to fulfil our needs in terms of functional performance of their product to fulfil our requirements (including quality), before the other assessments (i.e. reliability, sustainability and service level) takes place.

Yes, that’s true. The supplier must fulfill the basic needs like order fulfillment and product distribution services promptly and must provide online tracking systems to customers.

We're also in the process of looking for reliable suppliers for my parent's restaurant. As much as possible, we want a supplier that has ISO certification. However, we know that there are suppliers who are not into ISO, so we're also trying to find ways on how to ensure the safety of the goods. I'm also seeking for some assistance from business owners here.

Member Plus

I look for
    pricing
    quality
    delivery time
    shipment cost
    I will choose a supplier who has priced his items cheaper than his competitor. By cheap, I don't mean cheap quality, I look for the price that is low yet the quality is high. I also choose a supplier based on his delivery time and the money is will be charging for shipment.

Diamond Member

As a part response to some of the other threads recently I think that I look for those that can understand the newer customer and also be more flexible in their approach. Being able to change and adapt with the times is more and more important these days.