Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

Default Re: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

I'm always looking for suppliers that have a good track record and reviews, basically companies that have been around for a while and they've been trusted by people before. I'm also looking out for the quality of their product and the price, if they have expensive products I want them to show me why they're worth the money so that's really important. Those are the most important parameters for me.

2. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

I am not responsible for supplies in my day job, but I am for my personal small business. What I look for is:

1. Good reputation/reviews of the supplier. I will Google the hell out of something if I have to before I buy in order to make sure that I'm getting what I pay for, and what I expect.

2. Good prices. I will search for hours to get the best price if I have to. In the end, it will save me money and I can keep going back.

3. Fast service. Sometimes I will opt for a slighter higher price on a supply if I can get it faster. It just depends.

4. Likes gracer liked this post
    Member Plus

@Norm you make a a very good point. Communication is very important when dealing with suppliers. It ought to be a supplier's top priority. Being both polite and informative should keep customers coming back for more. I know that when someone is rude to me, dismissive, or even when they supply with excessive information, it puts me off. I have had people talk my ear off about their supplies, and that can be irritating. (Avon springs to mind!)

6. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBee View Post

1. Good reputation/reviews of the supplier. I will Google the hell out of something if I have to before I buy in order to make sure that I'm getting what I pay for, and what I expect.
    I am also very particular with reputation especially if I'm going to buy my supply through the internet. I spend hours googling about the company and I try to make sure I read all the positive and negative reviews on them. If I read more negative than positive ones, I back out and look for another potential supplier.

Member Plus

I personally look for the product quality but also I look for the communication as well.

I hate when the entire supply chain is stuck because the supplier does not have the time to communicate or simply does not give importance to communication. That is why, I would always interact with the supplier before buying and also, after the sale as well, to ensure that I would be able to order from the supplier in the future as well.

9. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dropshipping View Post
    I personally look for the product quality but also I look for the communication as well.

I hate when the entire supply chain is stuck because the supplier does not have the time to communicate or simply does not give importance to communication. That is why, I would always interact with the supplier before buying and also, after the sale as well, to ensure that I would be able to order from the supplier in the future as well.
    Communication is important, you are right and I think a lot of businesses don't worry too much about that enough like they should do. it's OK picking a supplier that as the cheapest prices like a lot do, but if the communication from them isn't up to scratch then there is a good chance that you're going to run into a few problems along the way.

There's no point in choosing a supplier with the cheapest prices, if you are then left to wonder if they have received your order, if it's been processed or maybe even more importantly, when you yourself are going to receive it.

11. Likes gracer liked this post
    Bronze Member

From an elemental point of view, the quality standards may depend on how much you are able to afford. If you desire the best quality and trustworhty suppliers out there, prepare to pay a hefty price which is competitive with others high quality supplier companies.

13. Likes gracer liked this post
    Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by gracer View Post
    I believe that one of the factors that make businesses successful is the quality of supplies they get from their suppliers. If you have good quality products to sell, you will gain more customers in time. Finding the right supplier who offers high quality products at reasonable prices is a must to be able to run a successful business.

For those of you who are already running a business or planning on running one, what do you look for in a potential supplier?
    Many things, but not really price. It is a business philosophy, I prefer to deal with straightforward & lean businesses (no hidden fees or cheap marketing tactics to overcharge/upsale etc). Generally speaking what I would be looking for is: Do they seem like they have their act together? Any signs of negligence? over fluff? tendency to clog with not very-useful info/items? If so that would mean they're not very reliable because they are not following lean practices so quality would be certainly lower even they run the most expensive marketing campaigns.

You may save in the short term, but suppliers are usually a long-term commitment. Flexibility in billing matters more than price IMO.

15. Likes gracer liked this post

When dealing with suppliers I have a few standards.

Firstly, reliably is a prerequisite, if they are not reliable avoid doing business with them as this also bring to question a lot of other things about the supplier.

Second, quality is a question of your business and client base. For example, are you dealing with high-end customers and selling at a premium? Or are you a price driven business selling at lowest industry prices?

Lastly payment flexibility. some supplier some suppliers will give you 15 days, 30 days, even more to pay. While some even give you goods on credit, paid at certain times in the year. This is really important, especially for SMEs, as cash-flow may not always be good. If your a small of medium business, avoid suppliers that do cash on delivery or COD.

17. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miguel View Post

Lastly payment flexibility. some supplier some suppliers will give you 15 days, 30 days, even more to pay. While some even give you goods on credit, paid at certain times in the year. This is really important, especially for SMEs, as cash-flow may not always be good. If your a small of medium business, avoid suppliers that do cash on delivery or COD.
    I do certainly attest to this. In our small family business, we gladly welcome suppliers who offer their products on credit. As you said, cash-flow in small businesses can be hard especially if many suppliers all come at a time and the sales is not enough to pay for the goods which are delivered. So what usually happens during such situations is for us to turn down the cash-on-delivery options until such a time that we get to cope up with the amount of supplies being offered to us.