Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

Platinum Member

Default What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

I believe that one of the factors that make businesses successful is the quality of supplies they get from their suppliers. If you have good quality products to sell, you will gain more customers in time. Finding the right supplier who offers high quality products at reasonable prices is a must to be able to run a successful business.

For those of you who are already running a business or planning on running one, what do you look for in a potential supplier?

2. Likes mansa94 liked this post
    Diamond Member

Default Re: What Do You Look For In A Supplier?

When doing business it's sensible to do your due diligence before you get into any sort of commitment. This will help you in finding the best possible source for supplying your needs. U will need to a have a reliable and trustworthy supplier this could facilitate as much as possible a smooth and stress-free received flow, hence enabling you to be in a better position to satisfy you customers needs.

4. Likes gracer, mansa94 liked this post
    Diamond Member

For me one of the most important things is how communicative and attentive they are. If they are able to answer questions before I even bring them up then it's a good sign that they have already lots of experience a dave dealt with many other clients to know enough to be upfront of potential problems and to give me options and security measures on how to combat them. On that note I'd say another good thing to look out for is honesty.

6. Likes gracer, mansa94, tallulah liked this post

We used to have a business and we supply computer items to companies. In the beginning when we had no track record to speak of, we were using recommendations and references. Even our first clients were helping us by being our reference for our company's performance in the supplying business. But our main strength during the first year is in giving concessions to our clients, especially to the new clients, by giving them 30 days of terms and sometimes even 60 days of payment period after delivery. It was a big burden to our cash flow since we were like giving a loan to our clients but it's worth it when we compute the profits earned.

And being on the other side, what I look for potential suppliers is their track record, how long they have been in the business, their top clients and their facilities.

8. Likes gracer, mansa94 liked this post
    Member Plus

I want a supplier who has high quality products at reasonable prices. Low minimums. Easy ways to pay. If it is a larger item, then they need to offer drop shipping.

10. Likes gracer liked this post
    Diamond Member

One of the first things that I look for in a supplier is the length of time that they have been established, as well as what other businesses they also work with and supply to. For me reputation is just as important as the price, and you often find that the suppliers who are quoting the cheapest prices are often supplying goods that aren't up to the standard that you or your customers demand. Using a poor supplier affects your reputation as well, and it's worth paying a higher price for a supplier that you know is trusted.

Along with the price, reliability is also high on the list, and you want to choose a supplier who can deliver on their promises. There's no point in choosing a supplier and then when it comes to ordering whatever it is you need, they are out of stock or are quoting ridiculously long delivery times. What's important for a supplier is to be able to deliver the required goods on time and at a price that's affordable. Depending in what sector your business is in though, they can be hard to find.

12. Likes gracer, mansa94 liked this post
    Diamond Member

Well like other users have stated, reliability has to be the main consideration, or at least up there towards the top. When it comes to finding a supplier, you have to know your needs and the rates of other competitors. It is a little more difficult to find reviews of business like suppliers than your typical business too, so you have to allow yourself a little more time and effort. This is really where good business connections and knowing people in the industry really proves it advantages, in my experience at least.

14. Likes gracer liked this post
    Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cluckeyo View Post
    I want a supplier who has high quality products at reasonable prices. Low minimums. Easy ways to pay. If it is a larger item, then they need to offer drop shipping.
    I don't really need them to offer drop shipping, but like you said, I need for them to have quality products. In any niche business that I'm going to run, the best thing that I need to see from them is quality products. Delivery is another thing, if they can deliver the products timely, then I will find another supplier.

If drop shipping is a factor, then I will check my customer complaints as far as shipment. I want to know what the hold up is, and why they are not delivering on time, or getting shipments out in the warehouse. This indicates to me that there is inconsistency.

Platinum Member

You've all pointed out valuable points that one can really take note of when it comes to choosing a good supplier. I think you've tackled every aspect finding the right suppliers for any business. Punctuality, honesty, and good quality of products are also my top concerns when choosing the right supplier. Expectations from potential customers put a big burden on the part of suppliers but I think they can use these things as a guide in providing quality service to the people and businesses they give service to.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by cluckeyo View Post
    Yeah at the end of the day it really all just mostly boils down to price.if they are able to offer good deals and be able to negotiate towards what you need then the chances become way higher for you to partner with them and ultimately all they will have to do is live up to their side of the transaction which shouldn't be too hard if they have done all their calculations correctly and have tons of experience.