Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Google plans to train 2 million Indian developers

Default Re: Google plans to train 2 million Indian developers

I have a question on that Google plan. Why 2 million Indians, why not spread the 2 million to other countries? I understand that Indians have a superiority in technology compared to other countries but we cannot discount the fact that other countries, particularly in Asia like the Philippines, Vietnam and even Malaysia, have their own geniuses in technology. So maybe Google can farm out the 2 million required trainees to include other nationalities and not to discriminate against those in America and Europe as well. But anyway, this is just a plan and maybe Google is still studying the project and on how to go about it. But I'd say that's a good project plan.

Member Plus

Great news. But, why 2 million people? I think there are just about that many Indian android devs right now. So, it would double the number, but the income per person would go down. Personally, I think we need more people in the whole cloud business. I mean if you talk about logistics, Amazon is king. And they're competing with Apple, but Amazon is the company that runs the whole back end for most apps and services.

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    I have a question on that Google plan. Why 2 million Indians, why not spread the 2 million to other countries? I understand that Indians have a superiority in technology compared to other countries but we cannot discount the fact that other countries, particularly in Asia like the Philippines, Vietnam and even Malaysia, have their own geniuses in technology. So maybe Google can farm out the 2 million required trainees to include other nationalities and not to discriminate against those in America and Europe as well. But anyway, this is just a plan and maybe Google is still studying the project and on how to go about it. But I'd say that's a good project plan.
    If they spread it out that means they have to spend more money on traveling to different countries to train and operate. That is a stupid business move that is not cost effective. Quality will be difficult if they did that as well. How are you going to make sure that things are running to standard when they are spread out by thousands of miles? It's easier to have them in a centralized area.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by gracer View Post
    This is definitely good news to the Indian people. I'm sure Google heads have researched well and contemplated on this first before finally acting on it. I think they are doing a wise move by choosing Indians because if they would train from the U.S. or other countries with higher wages than India, the numbers of trainees would be limited compared to the lower wage in India where they could train more numbers and could potentially gain more in the long run.
    I agree. Just by comparing normal wages of US residents and Indian residents this already sounds like the most practical move and not to mention that it's even more understandable when you consider that you'll have to multiply that number by two million. Doing it this way does sound like it lessens the risk by not having to gamble as much expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I agree. Just by comparing normal wages of US residents and Indian residents this already sounds like the most practical move and not to mention that it's even more understandable when you consider that you'll have to multiply that number by two million. Doing it this way does sound like it lessens the risk by not having to gamble as much expense.
    A wage by wage comparison leaves out a whole slew of important conditions on each side and can be misleading. It is very reductive. Wage alone as a metric should be evaluated very carefully and maybe even skeptically.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    True! If just in case there's a possibility of not being able to utilize all 2 million in their company due to certain lacking requirement factors on the part of the trainees, at least the possibility of utilizing a bigger manpower is still bigger because we are talking about 2 million trainees. If for example we try to calculate how many people they could train in their home country with the amount of budget they have allotted, the likelihood of utilizing the same number of manpower as with India could be lesser because of higher pay schemes.

Platinum Member

That's great. If China got its start from outsourced factory labor, India's making it big with outsourced IT jobs and call centers. It's the same for the Philippines and other Asian countries that have made a name in the outsourcing industry. I am just kind of worried for Western countries and their citizens who do not seem to understand why their companies are outsourcing jobs to Asian countries. Hopefully, they'd start expanding their manufacturing firms and other industries that cannot be outsourced.