Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Importance of business logo

Default Importance of business logo

I am posing this question to the businessmen here in this forum. Is the business logo very important as to require the workers to wear the uniform that would display the business logo? There was a labor case where an employee was suspended when he refused to wear the uniform bearing the logo of their company. The labor arbiter decided to favor the company because it is the prerogative of the company to require the employee of such... during the working hours. But beyond that, the worker has the freedom to wear an attire that he desires.

Default Re: Importance of business logo

Every business needs a graphical representation of what they do and stand for. It is very important that a business have logo because some customers are good with logos than the name. And it is also a means of advertisement to those that never knew they existed. Now, for the case you narrated above if the uniform is not worn during working hours and it is the company policy that it should be worn I think the action is justified. But aside that I don't think it is an issue.

3. Likes hades_leae liked this post
    Diamond Member

As a business owner I've never really been all that big on my staff having to wear a set uniform for them to perform their duties, and sometimes they have worked better if I've given them a certain amount of leeway and they have the option to make their own decisions. If you make your employees all wear a uniform and say they have to dress a certain way, it tends to make that employee think that you don't trust them and they are just a cog in a machine rather than an important part of the company.

In certain sector when safety equipment and clothing is needed, then obviously I'd set a dress code and uniform policy but that would only be because of the safety aspect. In an office environment though I trust my employees to come to work dressed smartly and appropriately for the job that they do.

As a former business owner having a logo is really important, that's why so many companies spend a ton of money for a good one. If you think about it, this logo will be shown across uniforms, products, websites etc. and it needs to be a pretty slick one. You may think I'm crazy but choosing an appropriate logo is really important for the customers, it's kind of a sign that the company is serious if they have a nice logo.

Platinum Member

Having a business logo actually helps promote your company/business. People now have a way of identifying you. When the business reaches the heights of success, consumers would be able to associate certain emotions and attributes to your logo. The logo reinforces and gives a face to your brand.

Diamond Member

I think smaller businesses can get away with paying less attention to the logo and brand but as the company gets bigger so does the importance of the brand and logo and if an employee is resisting this then I think it is right to side with the owner because it is their brand and they should be allowed to set rules on how to best uphold it. Also putting the brand at risk not only poses risk to the company's survival but also the employment of fellow employees so I think refusing to play ball in this case is very selfish and very much deserves review.

Diamond Member

The business logo itself IS important as it gives your business a graphical image that it ill be recognised by, I'm not disputing that. The OP though was talking about displaying the logo on uniforms and about employees that refused to wear a garment with the company name and logo on it, or a uniform as such and my point was that in my opinion a uniform for a business isn't always necessary anyway. Having a company logo on the building, on transport and on various correspondence and advertising works to help promote your business in a better light, making employees wear uniforms with a brand name and logo on doesn't and it just makes your employees feel like they are being told hot to dress as they haven't got the brains to decide whats appropriate not not themselves.

That doesn't exactly show that as a manager you have all that much trust in your employees and so I can see why some people may object.

Member Plus

I do think a logo is important. It adds a real finishing touch and if the employee are wearing it, then they are seen as part of a team. I think that is very important. When you sign on to work for a company, you do give a certain amount of your freedoms away for that period of time that you are at work. So I think that employee was in the wrong and the court did the right thing.

Platinum Member

That's actually how I feel. I have had many jobs where I was not required to wear a badge, or log on my work shirts. They just wanted me to come and do the job, and then get out. There is nothing wrong with being professional, and wanting your employees to be representative of the company, but if it's not something like a business that does work outside of a facility, like mail service, or food delivery, then I don't think logos are a big deal.

Bronze Member

Well, I guess it should catch the eye or be recognizable. That might stand you out. You have a lot of competitors whose products are pretty decent. That's when the advertisement starts to play a key role.