Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mandatory working conditions

Default Mandatory working conditions

I work in an environment where employees safety and conditions are taken very seriously and by extention our customers too. We normally hold regular meetings specifically to discuss our working conditions.

A lot of effort is put to implement improvements, including some discussed at the meetings. But even so, we have some coworkers who are never satisfied.

They will keep grumbling about poor working conditions while making unrealistic demands. What should be mandatory for employers to provide better working conditions?

Platinum Member

Default Re: Mandatory working conditions

If the conditions meet federal standards, then those employees who continue to be unsatisfied will just have to deal with themselves. If there is nothing wrong with the conditions where they work, and the city does not see any problems, then those people need to understand that.

Some people complain even after they get what they want and need.

Platinum Member

Ideally, employers should give employees a reasonable amount of work so that they can balance their responsibilities with personal concerns. Achieving work-life balance in the workplace doesn't adhere to a set of clear-cut standards. The methods usually differ for every company. Some companies hold regular team-building activities or quarterly outings just so employees wouldn't feel stressed. Other companies offer lots of incentives so that employees will have more motivation and become more productive.

There are employees who can never be satisfied. When we had our computer supplies retailing business, my husband was so generous with our employees. About once a week, he would bring our 4 employees to a restaurant for free lunch. That was his style of holding a company meeting. When an employee has a problem, particularly financial, we would extend help. But that did not sit well with some employees who wanted more. In fact, one employee had resigned, moved to another company and pirated our big clients. We were shaking our heads with the ingratitude of that person. Now we have learned our lesson and we always bear in mind that people can never be satisfied especially an employee.

Diamond Member

If it were me I'd only take seriously the claims of dissatisfaction from the employees who make those claims with context in mind. Those who are just complaining for themselves without regard for the business and its survivability would matter less to me because as much as I want to sympathize I'd only really want the team players on my team and if there were some who just complain without taking the team aspect into consideration then I wouldn't want them to be working for me anyway and the fact that they would only see their own problems to me would convey that they don't really like working there as well anyway.

Platinum Member

I agree with what most of the members said. :-) I think if the company is doing its part in making sure that the work environment meets all the necessary standards and the employees are compensated and treated accordingly, then these employees who still continue to complain even without any evident claim are no longer a concern of the company. There will always be these kinds of employees or people in general who always have something to complain about despite the fact that the person, company, or situation they are complaining on is not the real problem but they themselves.

Diamond Member

As an employer, it's a sad fact of life that no matter what you give an employee or how ever fairly you treat them, a lot of them will never be satisfied and will always want more. You only have to look at some of the ridiculous requests you find in a business suggestion box to realise that sometimes you have to put your foot down and say it's not going to happen.

the more you give the employees, there more they will expect and I'm sure that most employers want to keep their employees happy, but at the same time if they are expecting too much then no matter who it upsets you have to make sure that they know you will only be pushed too far. The employees that do try and take advantage spoil it for the rest of the employees, as when you do get an unreasonable request you then tend to punish the whole workforce and not just those who have caused the issue in the first place, so that's something you have be careful of.

Diamond Member

You should understand that no matter what the situation, you are most likely to find someone with opposing thinking. Most of the workers may fell that they are being treated fairly, however, there may be someone or some others who may see view this situation differently. This does not necessarily equate to the company not treating its workers fairly, it's just having to contend with human frailties.