Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No tattoo please

Diamond Member

Default Re: No tattoo please

Quote Originally Posted by idoagree View Post
    It may seem a discriminating act but i can't really fault the business owners if they don't hire people with visible tattoos. It really doesn't help the company's image. Tattoos seems to have this negative connotation to it. I know tattoo is an art, a way of expressing oneself but companies couldn't care less about that, they prioritize what's best for their business more than anything.
    But if the person comes to an interview and they are the best applicant for the job. The one with the most experience and qualifications as well as being the most polite and conscientious, if you don't hire them simply because they have a tattoo then surely your doing your business more harm than good? More and more people than ever before have a tattoo these days so eventually if you stick to that kind of mentality then you're going to end up not being able to employ anybody, so you are going to have to eventually relax the rules at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by artyarson View Post
    I don't like this policy. Of course, If you have a lot of tattoos on your face... you probably won't be hired as a bank employee. Nah, you definitely won't be hired. However, If you have some cool arty tattoos on your arms or shoulders = that's not a reliable excuse not to hire somebody.
    I've seen employees that were required to wear long sleeve shirts when there was a tattoo present that was deemed inappropriate for the position they were in. It was oppressive or discriminatory. It just didn't fit the mold of a person to handle your problems and handle guest concerns. They just had to cover it up and they can work. That is not asking for much.

Diamond Member

You don't hire a person though without knowing if they have tattoos or not, well...I don't anyway and at the initial interview I will ask i they have any visible tattoos and if they do, I'll ask to see them. If they are a little too risky, I'd then ask if they are to be offered employment would they be willing to cover them up or not. In the past I've had some people say they wouldn't be so I've politely said then your application won't go any further and up to no hey have understood and not taken any offence.

As long as your policy is set out and agreed on at that stage, if they are employed, they then can't then turn around and refuse because it's already been agreed and will be written into their contract.

Tattoos are so commonplace now that it would massively hurt business to avoid hiring a tattooed person. Note, the same thing is probably going on with beards also. Note, I saw one grocery store with a meat cutter, and he had this plastic bag around his beard to keep hair from getting in the food. However, though, when I worked at a grocery store in the 1990s, beards were flat-out banned. Anyway, likewise, in the marketplace today, I'm sure tattoes are being encouraged to be covered up, but it's not seen as a totally negative factor.

Member Plus

No matter what the kind of profession is being questioned, forbidding an employee from doing what they want in their own body so that they is able to perform a certain type of function is a pure prejudice. It's very sad to know that we are in 2017 and there are still companies that act this way.

I wonder why a drawing on the body that is not your bothers so much?

It's interesting to note, though, that tattoos are a choice - while stuff like disabilities, gender, ethnic background, or perhaps a situation where a society considers someone underweight or overweight is often beyond their control. In that case, rejection due to tattoos can hurt but it doesn't hurt as much as the other situation. Should equal pity be felt for those rejected due to tattoos?

Tattoos are a problem in the sales business because some people think that it gives a bad image. Some mentalities are changing as the tattoo becomes more democratic

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    The tattoo in parts of the body that can be seen is not okay with some companies. It is part of the unwritten rule like the age limit that is illegal or can be charged as discriminatory. But big companies here wouldn't hire applicants with visible tattoo. Especially the banks which are very strict with their dress code because it reflects the corporate image, they have a prejudice on the tattoo. Do you think this is a form of discrimination or do those companies have valid reasons for not hiring applicants with tattoo?
    Some companies want to maintain a certain image, so it's not a discrimination, but we can say that it is business.
    For example, you want to hire someone in a bank, but he have a big tattoo on his neck which is going to be visible...but since in the society banks are labled as "serious" that person might not be hired because some people won't take him seriously...this is sad but this the society we are living on...

Agree with you that big companies wouldn't hire applicants with visible tattoo specially corporate sector or where there is direct interlink with customers as it looks weird.
    Tile Installer Burleigh