Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No tattoo please

Diamond Member

Default Re: No tattoo please

Quote Originally Posted by hades_leae View Post
    I have never been through this but it seems like it would be discriminatory because tattoos are a an expression. Companies can get around this by just never calling you back for the job. They are not going to call and say that they won't hire because of your tattoos because that's asking for a lawsuit in a way. I believe that there are some jobs that it would be reasonable where it would be accepted to not hire people with so many visible tattoos.

I wouldn't want my kids to have a teacher that has many gangster tattoos from their past, etc. That was just an example.
    Agreed. I think these days it has become a lot more acceptable and part of the norm so it's at least a big step forward for self expression, but we must never forget that business is not about self expression and it is only concerned with what is necessary to keep a good image and to make money so people with tattoos should not take it personally as they have made their choice and instead they could just set up a business of their own where others like them are welcome.

Platinum Member

Personally I think tattoos won't really affect work performance because if a person delivers and is capable, then there's no point in judging his or her appearance since it has nothing to do with the work at hand. However... image and reputation are really important for many companies. They have strict rules and policies that may put operations at risk if not respected and applied. So, if you apply for a particular company and they have rules against tattoos, then abide by them. It's not nice to sow trouble by rebelling and forcing the company to adjust to you because that's not how it works.

3. Likes pwarbi liked this post
    Diamond Member

You start off by saying it isn't discrimination but then go on to describe the fact that it actually IS discrimination. Companies are discriminating against the fact that a person has tattoos or in your words that they're fat and ugly, haha! and that's something that shouldn't be happening in this day and age.

I DO agree with you though that it does happen but speaking from my perspective, I managed the internal logistics for the NHS in one of the biggest hospitals in the UK and while it was an unwritten rule for the NHS not to employ people with visible tattoos, it was a rule I ignored when it came to hiring my staff. If a person has a tattoo or not as no impact on the way they perform at their job, and as far as I was concerned if they was capable and had the right credentials that I, and more importantly the team was looking for, then a tattoo can be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by pwarbi View Post
    You start off by saying it isn't discrimination but then go on to describe the fact that it actually IS discrimination. Companies are discriminating against the fact that a person has tattoos or in your words that they're fat and ugly, haha! and that's something that shouldn't be happening in this day and age.

I DO agree with you though that it does happen but speaking from my perspective, I managed the internal logistics for the NHS in one of the biggest hospitals in the UK and while it was an unwritten rule for the NHS not to employ people with visible tattoos, it was a rule I ignored when it came to hiring my staff. If a person has a tattoo or not as no impact on the way they perform at their job, and as far as I was concerned if they was capable and had the right credentials that I, and more importantly the team was looking for, then a tattoo can be overlooked.
    There are several types of discrimination going on in the business industry regarding hiring of people. For the tattoo, it is understandable for some corporations to protect their image because a person with a tattoo doesn't look decent enough. You cannot erase that stigma in our culture. Another discrimination is the gender of the person. There is an unwritten rule in big corporations not to hire homosexuals or gay applicants. Again, it is the call of the company and you cannot quarrel with that particularly so that there is no proof. And even if the HR people would claim I don't think it will hold water. And would you believe that there are corporations not hiring married women? Or maybe just prejudiced because married women can get pregnant and avail of the 2 months maternity leave. Makes sense to me.

Diamond Member

There are various types of discrimination in the workplace all over the world. I am pleased to say that in my country the gender bias is not such a big issue because we see where the females have been making great strides in previously male-dominated areas. The problem here at the moment seems to be age bias where there is the tendency to mostly refuse to employ persons of both genders once they are over forty years old.

Twenty years ago it may have been acceptable to bar people with tattoos from employment, but not now. In a professional environment certain types of tattoos may be deemed in appropriate, but tatoos on the arms hands chest, back and legs shouldn't become a problem. If it isn't something across the face or something deemed inappropriate by the community being worked in a business shouldn't turn a person with tatoos away. There will always be judgmental people that feel tattoos are not appropriate, that needs to be their problem, not the company's.

That is not discriminatory for a actual "up close and personal" type of position. Normally in customer service, guest relations, and hospitality. All representatives need to have a clean and appropriate look when representing a company or entity.

Is this the type of face you want to look at when needing advice on dermatology? If you walk into a doctors office and see this face at the pharmacy, do you stop to think for a second?

@joshposh, it looks to me that you have hit the jackpot with that picture of a tattooed guy. Personally, I wouldn't hire that guy in the photo for several reasons. First, his doesn't have a decent look. Second, he looks like a freak. Third, he doesn't look like a human being. In short, his looks wouldn't fit him in any position in my department or even if I have a business of my own, he wouldn't fit in. As said by one religious guy, God gave us the body and the face for us to take care of and look what those freaks are doing to their bodies and faces? They want to be a freak for whatever reason they have in their twisted minds. Well, that's the opinion of a religious person, not mine.

Bronze Member

I don't like this policy. Of course, If you have a lot of tattoos on your face... you probably won't be hired as a bank employee. Nah, you definitely won't be hired. However, If you have some cool arty tattoos on your arms or shoulders = that's not a reliable excuse not to hire somebody.

Member Plus

It may seem a discriminating act but i can't really fault the business owners if they don't hire people with visible tattoos. It really doesn't help the company's image. Tattoos seems to have this negative connotation to it. I know tattoo is an art, a way of expressing oneself but companies couldn't care less about that, they prioritize what's best for their business more than anything.