Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ways to Increase Company Morale

Diamond Member

Default Re: Ways to Increase Company Morale

Personally I haven't ever had to deal with low morale in my workforce, but what I will say is that communication and money are the two most important things that your employees look at. They want to know exactly what is going on, and they also want to be fairly paid for the work that they are doing. Depending on how big the business is, get all your employees in the one room and address them telling them exactly what is going on, and make sure that if they are working harder now than they have had to before, tell them that their extra hard work will be paid accordingly.

People don't care about team building exercises or a cream cake to go with their breaks, they want to be happy in their roles, know whats going on and most importantly be paid what they are owed. That's all the motivation that people need in my experience.

Member Plus

оnсе upоn а timе а smаll sоftwаrе еnginееring tеаm dеlivеrеd а vеry suссеssful rеlеаsе оn timе undеr сhаllеnging соnditiоns.
    а fеw dаys lаtеr а strеtсh limоusinе аrrivеs tо trаnspоrt thе tеаm tо а tеаm lunсh in а luxuriоus rеstаurаnt. Gооd fооd аnd winе is соnsumеd, pеnniеs аrе nоt соuntеd. Thе tеаm fееls аpprесiаtеd. Thе tеаm fееls еmpоwеrеd tо dо еvеn bеttеr.
    This wаs nоt а vеry еxpеnsivе pеrk, but еvеryоnе in thе tеаm will rеmеmbеr thаt limоusinе (аnd thе mаnаgеr whо оrdеrеd it) аs lоng аs thеy livе. Sаdly, duе tо mаnаgеmеnt сhаngеs thе limоusinе nеvеr саmе аgаin. Mоrаlе nеvеr rесоvеrеd; rеplасing thе limоusinе with thе whip еvеntuаlly еnсоurаgеd аll thе sеniоr tеаm mеmbеrs tо sееk аltеrnаtivе еmplоymеnt.

Diamond Member

How an employer treats their employees is obviously going to have a big impact on the moral of the company, and even though some bosses say that being paid should be enough, a lot of employees do want and need that extra motivation in order to go the extra mile. Just sometimes even a simple hello in the morning and a sense that they are appreciated can make all the difference as I myself have worked for people who would walk around and belittle you, think they're better than you and that does absoloutly no good at all when it comes to making employees want to put the extra effort in.

Increasing company morale is simply common sense. Pay them more. Give them more vacations. Give them bonuses and other benefits for a well-done job. Give the women time off for pregnancy and childcare.

Nonetheless, the company must take care not to be too nice cause they could be taken advantage of. In other words, the perks have to be carefully watched and regulated to prevent abuse.

Diamond Member

This is difficult, and you can really ask any manager or anyone who has to do this as a function of their job. The one thing I can say is that a lot of the corny and cheesy attempts really can backfire, so you have to be careful and take some time and give it some thought.

Downsizing the workforce no matter how bad it may look has been proven to boost morale at the work place and that is one area I think your company should look into. I understand that you guys have let go of 3 workers that are part-time, but there is still need to look inward and check the performances of those current staff in order to fish out those that are underperforming for the firm. Have a talk with them and see if the dialogue can yield a better result, but if it does not, then getting them laid off is the only option and let the committed staff stay put.

Since there has been a complaint of how cheap the company is, I suggest that there should be a review of salaries paid to workers so as to boost their morale through that way. But the first step as I stated above is laying off unserious worker while the committed ones are now being paid well to see improvement in the delivery of services.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with Barida. While downsizing is always an option that should be considered, no proof was offered that putting employees on the chopping block magically makes them feel good. Cite your sources, please!

No, there is literally nothing you could do which will damage employee morale more than to create a fearsome environment for them. A time does come to downsize for some businesses. If it's what must be done to survive then that's, unfortunately, the action you must take. But if morale will further impact your productivity you may want to consider other steps first.