Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Health insurance as a law

Default Health insurance as a law

The recent election held last may will have a new batch of legislators in July. There is one incoming legislator with a move to make health insurance mandatory for permanent employees. This is a big hurrah for the workforce but it is expected that business owners will not take it sitting down. Lobbying will be the name of the game when that bill is tackled in congress. It's not that I belong to the workforce but the rationale for the law is the feeling of security that a worker gets with health insurance so he could be more efficient at work and has no hangup when it comes to ailments. The main problem now when someone gets sick is the down payment for the hospital or the doctor's fees for consultation. But with a health insurance, workers wil be relieved of those worries.

Silver Member

Default Re: Health insurance as a law

Health insurance as a law is so stupid. It puts too much power in the insurer's hands rather than community-based hospitals. Insurance companies thrive on charging as much as possible, hospitals raise prices, insurance raises prices...all so stupid. Money speaks way too loudly, greed is the root of all of this nonsense.

Diamond Member

I'm not too knowledgable with the politics of this type of move but if I'm not mistaken I think at least this would mean that workers can be a lot more secure in their workplace knowing that they are insured and won't have to worry so much when they or one of their family members get sick.

Health insurance should definitely be mandatory. I hate the idea that only the rich can access free healthcare in the event of an accident or just being sick in general, and the people who work hard everyday, those who need it the most, wouldn't even be able to afford the monthly fees, and when they get sick, they have to pay the full amount, leading to even more expenses for them, literally draining all the savings they have stored through the years down the hospital drain. It's a really terrible system, and I envy countries like Sweden, because they have free healthcare, they get paid to attend school, and they even have paid sick leaves, ensuring you get back 100% at your job with no worries about money. It's a really great system, and I wish more countries implemented it.

Silver Member

"insurance" "mandatory"

See, here is the problem. You are saying you have to buy something from businesses, mandatory. Not that because it is mandatory it should be publicly run and overseen, but that a system built on profit should be mandatory. That is the problem. Some insurance companies that should fail will succeed simply because they were given money they didn't deserve.

Platinum Member

I think the mandatory health insurance provision should also be extended to probationary employees. In fact, some companies buy insurance for a set number of employees so it would not matter whether they're regular or still on probation. Just an example, I was given a health card by my employer not long after I signed the employment contract. My colleague too. However, after 6 months, I was the only one regularized. He unfortunately wasn't renewed. Nevertheless, he was able to take advantage of the health insurance package offered to each and every employee for the 6 months he served the company.

Group health insurance is much cheaper and to some extent, a more humane option for companies that want to provide for their employees.

The main purpose of the health insurance law is to protect the workforce particularly the lowly laborers from the worries of getting sick. One concern of families, especially those families with only 1 parent working, is what would happen when the bread winner gets sick? With the health card, at least they have the assurance of being cared of in a clinic or hospital since the expense would be taken care of by the health insurance.

Insurance companies in our country are regulated and although there are wayward insurance companies sometimes but the government is not amiss in putting discipline in the industry. Besides, the company is the one to provide the health insurance for their employees so the company has a free hand in selecting the insurance company of their choice.

Diamond Member

It would be wonderful if health insurance could be mandatory by law. However, I know this would be an issue that many employers would try to prevent this proposal becoming an act of law. This would probably be a real fillip for the workers in general and especially for those at the low end of the pay scale. However, for most many businesses profitability takes precedence over staff welfare.

Silver Member

Not insurance, please not insurance. You guys don't get it. Insurance is 3rd party. It is imaginary, it was invented. All you need is a system where people pay for healthcare to be growing, there is no need for "insurance." These people suck the $ out of society while hospitals are turned into for-profit operations and then people die because they don't have enough money, but really it's because they won't pay someone $50,000 for something that costs the hospital 1 or 2 at most. Learn from the states...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunneler View Post
    Not insurance, please not insurance. You guys don't get it. Insurance is 3rd party. It is imaginary, it was invented. All you need is a system where people pay for healthcare to be growing, there is no need for "insurance." These people suck the $ out of society while hospitals are turned into for-profit operations and then people die because they don't have enough money, but really it's because they won't pay someone $50,000 for something that costs the hospital 1 or 2 at most. Learn from the states...
    Your argument is reductive. It is a much more complex issue. Yes, the cost overruns are crazy, but that isn't always the end result depending on how insurance and the regulation is structured.