Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Health insurance as a law

Default Re: Health insurance as a law

Quote Originally Posted by TheFunneler View Post
    Not insurance, please not insurance. You guys don't get it. Insurance is 3rd party. It is imaginary, it was invented. All you need is a system where people pay for healthcare to be growing, there is no need for "insurance." These people suck the $ out of society while hospitals are turned into for-profit operations and then people die because they don't have enough money, but really it's because they won't pay someone $50,000 for something that costs the hospital 1 or 2 at most. Learn from the states...
    You may be right on your theory about insurance companies. It is their business and they are earning from it. But on the part of the patient, the insurance eliminates the worry. I am giving myself as an example. Last year when I was diagnosed with a health issue in my reproductive system, I was confined for 3 days for a minor procedure. I got a private room with amenities. It was a hassle-free confinement since I did not pay anything, not even a peso, because my health card handled all the expenses. The hospital is a big one and naturally expensive than ordinary hospitals.

Last month my niece was hospitalized for 9 days due to pneumonia. The hospital bill amounted to more than 100,00 pesos, that's about $3,000 in your money. The health card covered everything. And to think that my niece was just 2 months in her new job which provided the health card, certainly it was a big relief.
    s

Member Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Corzhens View Post
    The recent election held last may will have a new batch of legislators in July. There is one incoming legislator with a move to make health insurance mandatory for permanent employees. This is a big hurrah for the workforce but it is expected that business owners will not take it sitting down. Lobbying will be the name of the game when that bill is tackled in congress. It's not that I belong to the workforce but the rationale for the law is the feeling of security that a worker gets with health insurance so he could be more efficient at work and has no hangup when it comes to ailments. The main problem now when someone gets sick is the down payment for the hospital or the doctor's fees for consultation. But with a health insurance, workers wil be relieved of those worries.

You're right, businesses will not take this sitting down. Currently, they are already sharing on the contributions for the government-mandated PhilHealth Insurance which is supposed to cover hospitalization fees, doctor's fees, and even leave benefits for those who were injured within work premises or outside while performing official work. It would not be fair to force them to pay private insurance companies for health premiums. Although some companies offer this type of benefit, the premium is always tied to the fact that the insured employee is also a Philhealth member and that the private insurance company will only be paying for the fees and charges that are beyond the coverage of the government-owned insurance system. If you take the government share out, the premium will definitely skyrocket and not be affordable for many companies.

In my country, the US, health insurance has pretty much been thrown in the trash. The right-wing Trump administration and Republican Congress are totally against it. Note, the Affordable Healthcare Act, Obamacare, didn't really say businesses are required to offer healthcare, only that Obamacare was an option if they chose not to. At least that's my take on it? Does anyone know differently?

Bronze Member

A very good initiative, health insurance for employees should be made mandatory and not supposed to be a matter for deliberation anymore. People shouldn't just be left to work and when they breakdown due to the work be left to their fate, no it's absolutely wrong. There are companies that have no health insurance for their staffs, it's not that can't pursue it financially but don't seem to care about staff welfare health wise, they want to recoup all profit home, which is somehow ruthless in my view.

Diamond Member

I am pretty sure that we do not really know the effects of this quite yet, and of course now that it is being repealed who knows what will come, but I am still thinking that it sounds good in theory, but in practice I am not sure if it works.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason76 View Post
    In my country, the US, health insurance has pretty much been thrown in the trash. The right-wing Trump administration and Republican Congress are totally against it. Note, the Affordable Healthcare Act, Obamacare, didn't really say businesses are required to offer healthcare, only that Obamacare was an option if they chose not to. At least that's my take on it? Does anyone know differently?
    Seriously? A new administration can simply erase what the previous administration did? For me is scary that a country like the US doesn't provide healthcare to their citizens. The state or companies through laws created should be responsible for our health, that's the basic in human civilization.

I don't see what's the big deal about health insurance as a law. Note, in the US, we already have vehicle insurance as a law. However, though, another question which comes to mind is whether or not health insurance should be public or private. However, that's for a whole other thread.

Member Plus

Health insurance as a law brings me back to just one kind of thought: money. There is no reason to compel people to get health insurance. It's obvious that they need it, but millions of them can't afford it... So, how could the government force them to have one (or many depending on the family)?

This is completely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine_Spirit View Post
    Health insurance as a law brings me back to just one kind of thought: money. There is no reason to compel people to get health insurance. It's obvious that they need it, but millions of them can't afford it... So, how could the government force them to have one (or many depending on the family)?

This is completely stupid.
    I wonder if the same situation exists with car insurance. Note, though, even if people cannot afford it, they still find ways to pay it. They have no choice.

As we all know that health insurance is a type of insurance coverage that covers the cost of an insured individual's medical expenses but depending on the type of health insurance coverage, either the insured pays costs out-of-pocket and is then reimbursed, or the insurer makes payments directly to the provider.

There are some countries, like in the UK or Canada, health care coverage is provided by the state and is seen as every citizen's right. So, since that you are living in the Philippines, government will not pay the hospitalization if you can't able to pay it. So, it's your obligation to pay full of it. Hope you got my point.