Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Graphical images in cigarette packs

Default Graphical images in cigarette packs

The Philippine department of health has finally realized their project of implementing the law on the graphical design of the cigarette packs. Now the cigarette packs contain images of cancer patients, to emphasize the ill effects of smoking on the human body. It was a long battle because the cigarette companies were lobbying to delay the implementation of the law. With that graphical packaging of cigarettes, they are betting that smokers will tend to diminish. Let us see.

Diamond Member

Default Re: Graphical images in cigarette packs

I don't think it's fair to the cigarette companies but I'm sure they have had opportunities where they were unfair too so this is probably just balancing that out. I don't think it will work anyway. I'm sure smokers all know the danger of this habit and it's easy to just change the packer. I have to say I dislike the idea of governments being able to bully businesses in this way, even if it is big corporations that probably have their own shady practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I don't think it's fair to the cigarette companies but I'm sure they have had opportunities where they were unfair too so this is probably just balancing that out. I don't think it will work anyway. I'm sure smokers all know the danger of this habit and it's easy to just change the packer. I have to say I dislike the idea of governments being able to bully businesses in this way, even if it is big corporations that probably have their own shady practices.
    Fair to the companies? Are you freaking kidding me here? Why should any government worry about being fair to companies that intentionally pushed a deadly addictive product that at one point was done in a secretive and dishonest manner? You have a problem with government's doing business this way, but what about the complete lack of ethics displayed by the tobacco companies? These are the people that used to parade doctors out on TV to recommend various brands knowing the whole time the product wasn't safe. The tobacco companies are the ones that used children's cartoons to market cigarettes. Have you ever seen The Flintstones in it's original format? Give me a break. Oh boohoo for the tobacco companies. They should slap the images on all tobacco and nicotine products.

The department of health actually wanted to ban cigarettes but as @Norm said, there should be a balance. The tobacco industry gives employment to a lot of people and the government cannot just afford to make it obsolete. Besides, any industry is big money for the government. Before that graphical images on the cigarette packs, the tax was upped to a certain level that cigarettes now costs more than double of the price 10 years ago. They call it "sin tax." And since it was not very effective in discouraging smoking so now they are testing that graphical images of people with cancer.

Keeping a decidedly corrupt and ultimately harmful industry in business for economic reasons is stupid. You can't justify what they do with the jobs they provide. The ends doesn't justify the means here.

Diamond Member

I have always wondered why governments, in many instances, seek to protect the interests of big corporations to the detriment of the public at large.The governments will say that is for economic reasons to help to drive the country's economy, however, if the workforce is not healthy then the economy will be negatively impacted. I don't believe, however, that the graphical images will make a considerable impact on the smoking of the cigarette because many of the smokers already know of the danger that is attached to smoking but they don't seem to want to chose to health over pleasure

You are right on that, @explorerx7, big corporations seem to be protected by the government because of lobbying. It's not right to say that government officials benefit from those corporations but it seems like it. But if the cigarette is really bad for the health, why can't the government just make it illegal like marijuana? And if they cannot totally ban the sale of cigarette then maybe just tax it outrageously like $10 per stick. Maybe that would stop the smokers on their tracks.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by nytegeek View Post
    Fair to the companies? Are you freaking kidding me here? Why should any government worry about being fair to companies that intentionally pushed a deadly addictive product that at one point was done in a secretive and dishonest manner? You have a problem with government's doing business this way, but what about the complete lack of ethics displayed by the tobacco companies? These are the people that used to parade doctors out on TV to recommend various brands knowing the whole time the product wasn't safe. The tobacco companies are the ones that used children's cartoons to market cigarettes. Have you ever seen The Flintstones in it's original format? Give me a break. Oh boohoo for the tobacco companies. They should slap the images on all tobacco and nicotine products.
    Why do you feel the need to be so snarky? Can you not discuss something in a civilized manner? Are you a child? It's a business like any other and it's legal. However they are treated can be applicable for any other business. Whatever tactics they have done in the past has already been dealt with and corrected. As for being addictive, and being unsafe, text is already sufficient warning. A lot of things we buy are unhealthy and unless we are prepared to put pictures of obesity in burgers and burn victims on hot coffee as warnings then I don't see how this should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Why do you feel the need to be so snarky? Can you not discuss something in a civilized manner? Are you a child? It's a business like any other and it's legal. However they are treated can be applicable for any other business. Whatever tactics they have done in the past has already been dealt with and corrected. As for being addictive, and being unsafe, text is already sufficient warning. A lot of things we buy are unhealthy and unless we are prepared to put pictures of obesity in burgers and burn victims on hot coffee as warnings then I don't see how this should be any different.
    I'm not being snarky. I'm just blunt. Don't read things into a comment that aren't there. The fact is the past behavior hasn't been properly dealt with in most cases and many of these companies have just gotten sneakier in response. Over eating can't be compared. Food isn't a deadly drug with no healthy use intended or otherwise. Cigarettes are a deadly drug with no positive purpose.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by nytegeek View Post
    I'm not being snarky. I'm just blunt. Don't read things into a comment that aren't there. The fact is the past behavior hasn't been properly dealt with in most cases and many of these companies have just gotten sneakier in response. Over eating can't be compared. Food isn't a deadly drug with no healthy use intended or otherwise. Cigarettes are a deadly drug with no positive purpose.
    How about alcohol or soda? If there's no positive purpose, people won't keep buying them. It's not up to you or anyone else to set the standards of what can be considered useless for others, and even if it is so, that alone isn't enough of a reason for the government to overstep their boundaries in dictating how a legal company operates. If they can do whatever they want to a huge corporation with hundreds of lawyers, think of what they can do to you.