Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Excessive bonuses

Default Excessive bonuses

There is now an issue in the Philippines on the excessive bonuses of government owned corporations. These firms are operating like private corporations hence they are not bound by law. The standard bonus here is the so called 13th month pay which is in accordance with the labor law. For more than that would fall on the discretion of the management. But some government owned corporation are giving their employees not only 17 months a year (that's 5 months bonus) up to 24 months - this is double the salary of the employee. I think it is not good to have a law limiting bonuses but how do we control such extravagance of giving excessive bonuses to employees?

Default Re: Excessive bonuses

I think companies have a right to pay employees, managers, or executives whatever they want. Also, with employees and managers, I especially don't see a big fuss. However, though, executives getting massive bonuses could be a bad move cause it angers employees. In fact, some say, for instance, that a cut in the pay of the McDonald's executive would lead to decent pay for employees.

Member Plus

Default Re: Excessive bonuses

I agree that there should be bonuses because they are a very positive form of recognition for the work that has been done. But the excess bonuses can represent a snowball that can grow quickly bringing various financial logistics problems (something that in the long run can be very complicated to solve). For everything there has to be a control, although they are referring to the positive aspects.