Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Child labor

Default Re: Child labor

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Good point. The problem with this really is that sometimes it is necessary for he child to work and if they are prevented from doing so then there is a whole new issue you'd have to deal with and without the proper channels to help deal with this particular problem which poverty then you really lessen your chances of being able to solve the issue of child labor because they go hand in hand. Unfortunately less developed countries are less likely to care about such things because when there is scarcity people tend to become a lot more selfish especially the ones in power.
    You are correct. Sometimes child labor becomes nessacary. Poverty does need to be addressed in these situations. Sometimes leaders of and governments of less developed nations do care, but they simply don't have the resources to address the issue. It is a sad situation. There is so much money wasted on nonsense by more developed countries while less developed ones struggle.

Bronze Member

I really don't know if shunning child labor. In developed countries and most of in development ones, adults can earn enough to support their children. But in poorer countries, misery is so rampant that families have no choice but to rely in every family member to bring food to their tables. Is really awful, indeed, but forbidding them for work without giving a strong support will make some of them go for any available alternative like prostitution or begging in the streets.

I completely disagree with using child labor considering there are plenty of other citizens that need jobs. Kids should continue being kids until they grow up and get out of school. Adults need to actually feed their families.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSmith View Post
    I completely disagree with using child labor considering there are plenty of other citizens that need jobs. Kids should continue being kids until they grow up and get out of school. Adults need to actually feed their families.
    I think you should have read more of the comments before posting. There are different definitions of what child labor is and variable needs dependning on where you are. A flat out for or against statement is an uneducated and possibly ignorant one.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by nytegeek View Post
    Child labor laws in most places don't usually protect from exploitation by their families, just by businesses.
    In third world countries when a child has a job, it may be that odd summer job or a weekend job they only keep some of the money. The parents keep 80% of what their kids earn. Worse still some children actually work as slaves. They aren't paid because the money they earn is collected by their parents.

In my opinion, legal or not, child labor is a practice that should be banned everywhere, be it by the courts or by conscience.

Children must be protected; the parents are the ones who are in the moral obligation to provide for their needs, not the other way around.

It is unacceptable to have abusive parents who take advantage of their own children for profit. Again, I'm not discussing about the legality of it. My personal opinion is and always will be this: Child labor = a big "no".

I think you could only get away with that in places where the judicatory system is a bit wonky. I don't see something like this being viable in the US since one small mistake can cost the business owner enough that it wouldn't be worth the risk, even if if it's just for a few days a year

When you talk about children, how old was the person?