Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: No overtime pay

Diamond Member

Default Re: No overtime pay

Quote Originally Posted by Dybbuk Jones View Post
    Are you getting paid for the days off? At that point, the overtime pay would be double time which should be fine. Or do you just have to work 40 hours a week? I am a little confused by this. In America, overtime pay is the law and organizations have to have special dispensation to avoid paying overtime (such as agriculture). Most companies also give paid vacation time but it tends to change between organizations.
    Rules from country to country do differ, and I think that's where a lot of the confusion lies. Also you'll find that in some countries, companies can set their own rules when it comes to overtime, and if paying the employee for the extra hours isn't feasible but the work needs to be completed, in a lot of cases the company can negotiate what incentives they give so it can vary from one employee to the next.

This can work out better for the employee sometimes, because if they do need an extra day off and aren't too concerned about money, working extra hours can be a way of accruing the extra time off so it can work out well for both parties involved.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dybbuk Jones View Post
    Are you getting paid for the days off? At that point, the overtime pay would be double time which should be fine. Or do you just have to work 40 hours a week? I am a little confused by this. In America, overtime pay is the law and organizations have to have special dispensation to avoid paying overtime (such as agriculture). Most companies also give paid vacation time but it tends to change between organizations.
    Rules from country to country do differ, and I think that's where a lot of the confusion lies. Also you'll find that in some countries, companies can set their own rules when it comes to overtime, and if paying the employee for the extra hours isn't feasible but the work needs to be completed, in a lot of cases the company can negotiate what incentives they give so it can vary from one employee to the next.

This can work out better for the employee sometimes, because if they do need an extra day off and aren't too concerned about money, working extra hours can be a way of accruing the extra time off so it can work out well for both parties involved.

Bronze Member

That's definitely not a good thing to me. However, I see some extra option. Maybe you can negotiate with your boss about using those hours as already done ones from your regular schedule, so you may possible get some extra day-offs.

Anybody tried that, no?

Platinum Member

It's a matter of time management. If you have a system and follow it to a tee, there's no reason for you to be struggling with your output. In fact, some desk jobs can be done in less than 8 hours. An overtime pay is sometimes just an excuse to milk off the company's coffers.

Silver Member

There are some companies which demand that you work exactly 8 hours a day. If you come in 20 minutes late then you'll have to work 20 more minutes in the evening. For those who hire Muslims who have to take prayer breaks, they too have to make up for that lost time. That said, I did notice that some construction companies have their workers (mostly undocumented workers) work more than 8 hours but they don't get overtime pay though it is against overtime provisions.

That said, overtime pay can encourage workers to loaf around so a "no overtime pay policy" is good in my book.

Diamond Member

Having a no overtime policy will stop people from 'loafing around' as you put it, but it also means that they will clock on and off at the exact time they should, no matter if the work is finished or not. A company will obviously know how much work they want doing in an allotted time but as I'm sure we all know not every day isn't the same and some day's the required amount of work won't get done. Then as an employer you have to look at if offering overtime for that particular day will be worth it and that's why I'd rather leave the option of overtime open in some circumstances.

In my company all the NCTs were entitled to have overtime pay. But if your role is Associate and above you are not entitled to have an OT pay. Only holidays are exempted since we are required to go to work even if its Philippine Holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by xTinx View Post
    It's a matter of time management. If you have a system and follow it to a tee, there's no reason for you to be struggling with your output. In fact, some desk jobs can be done in less than 8 hours. An overtime pay is sometimes just an excuse to milk off the company's coffers.
    I agree with the time management reason but there are times that legitimate work overflows in the desk particularly when there is a new project on hand. It often happens to my unit although I am not qualified for overtime pay because of my executive position. Especially when there is the thing called conversion to a new system, the IT department would be on its toes and we had to work during the entire weekend.

They can always set a limit to overtime work, I really don't understand why a policy like this would be reinforced

hum...I think overtime work should be paid,since the person who is during his overtime work helps the company in a way to gain money, so why won't the company pay him the extra...?